Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My first archery Buck! >

My first archery Buck!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My first archery Buck!

Old 10-25-2004, 01:19 PM
Spike

Default My first archery Buck!

Althogh this buck is no monster I am very happy to have taken this deer in archery. I have been archery hunting for the past 3 years and have had shots at bucks but never connected due to the shakes. Anyway the buck I harvested was a small rack 5 point (broke off his other brow tine), but was a BIG bodied deer. We guessed him to be around a little of 160 dressed.

Well here is the story. I was going to go out Saturday morning to hunt until I found out that my two younger cousins were gonna come out with rifles for Junior doe. I didn't really want to go out b/c I thought that they would be shooting up a storm only 200 yards from my stand and spookin up all the deer. When they came by the house, I decided what the heck better to go out and make sure that, I do not miss an oportunity at a deer. So far during this season I have seen doe, but was never presented a shot.

Anyway as I was only 20 yards from the stand at 5:45 am I heard a deer get up and run for a little then stop. So I quitely tip-toed to the stand and began to climb up the ladder. I could hear the deer walking around for about 5 minutes. then around 6:30 I could hear it start walking again (that is if it was the same deer) and walk past the stand to my right. This kind of discouraged me b/c then I began to think that they were moving early past the stand and would not be up and about during the day. Then around 7:10 am I could hear this deer coming in about 40 yards away. I took off my gloves and hat and grabbed my bow. I noticed once the deer came out of the woods into a small clearing that it was a big bodied deer and all I could see was that it had antlers but I did not know how big it was. At the time I thought it was a big buck since the body was big. I grunted a few times but the buck paid no attention to it and continued to my left (towards my cousins tree stand). Soon he was out of sight and gone.

About 5-10 minutes later I hear him come back again only 15 yards away, but he was behind a bunch of brush and trees and I could not shoot. I grunted and he walked up to the dirt road were we drive our vehicles back to when we get a deer. The only thing is that he stopped with just his head sticking out from the brush. Again providing me with no shot. This gave me the time to see that he was a legal buck. After a little while he turned around and walked back from were he came.

At this point I was soo aggrevaited to have missed my chance at my first archery buck. About 5 minutes later here he comes back again and walks to the clearing were he came out from the woods. I quickly drew back my bow and let out a quick "Maaaaa"( similar to a deer sound) he stopped right at the edge of the woods and I aimed and cracked him. I knew I hit him b/c it made a loud thud sound when it hit him. This was around 7:35 am.

I waited in my stand until my cousins went up back to the house so that I would not ruin their hunt. It was around 9:00 am. I walked up to were I hit the deer and looked for blood. There wasnt any and I couldnt find the arrow. I continued in on the deer trail he followed and I found a very tiny amount of blood. I was discouraged and began to think that I might have placed a terrible shot on the deer. Then I looked up and there he was 20 yards from were I shot him. Turns out I double lunged him at around 35 yards.

Although he was not my biggest buck I am very proud to have harvested him. I will try to get picks of this buck this weekend.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My first archery Buck!

Conagrats on your deer. Sounds like you made a nice shot. Don't forget to post some pics when you get them........dabow
Old 10-25-2004, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

Great job and story. Nothing's better than the first.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:59 PM

congratulations, can't wait to see the pictures.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:19 PM

Congrats on your first archery buck! I'm glad you waited and didn't rush for a bad shot. You took your time and placed the arrow where it belonged!

I love the sound of a double lung hit.......TTTHHwwwaaaccckkkk!
Old 10-25-2004, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Super!!!

Congratulations! I am very happy for you.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:03 PM

congrats. "You Done Did Good"
Old 10-25-2004, 05:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrates
Old 10-25-2004, 05:39 PM

sounds like it was ment to be congrats!
Old 10-25-2004, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats

Quick Reply: My first archery Buck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.