Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I fell tonight

Old 10-25-2004, 05:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I fell tonight

You'll never beat gravity, the best you can do is tie.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:55 AM

And a world class wedgie from the harness pulling up my pants
That's also a small price to pay. I'm glad to hear you were wearing your harness and it did it's job. It seems that's generally how it happens, Quick. This should serve as a reminder that accidents do happen.

I'm sorry to hear you fell but appreciate you sharing your experience. Hopefully those who don't harness up will learn the "easy" way.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:11 AM

Good news to hear your alright![]
Now the next adrenaline rush will be on that monster buck you see.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm really glad to hear you're OK. The harness did it's job and it's a good thing you had it on. I have always worn one because I don't like heights, but recently I bought a Summit Bullet stand and got the Seat of the Pants harness with it. Those things are great. They're easy to put on, can be worn while you climb and descend, and are so comfortable I don't even realize I'm wearing it. The way harnesses are made today it would be foolish and self-destructive not to wear one.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:23 AM

So how did you work out the wedgie? Pitchfork? Shop Vac? Block and tackle? Or is it still in there? [&:]
Old 10-25-2004, 11:18 AM

Glad to hear your ok
Old 10-25-2004, 02:10 PM

There are 2 kinds of bowhunters, those that have fallen and those that will fall but have not yet.

I am in the previous catagory. I FELL! I got real lucky too. I was using a Lone Wolf climber 4 years ago and about 8 feet from the bottom a bolt sheared on the top seat portion and the strap released. I had all my weight on that at the time and I fell only to be hanging upside down with my big boot lodged in the angle iron. I got lucky. I used to
use a saftey strap only when I got to the top and settled in the stand.

I climb now up and down with my Seat-O-Pants. ALWAYS!
Old 10-25-2004, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think you'll have to replace the strap, unless the fall was severe enough to pop the stitches in the strap. Generally they have the strap sewn so that as you fall the the stiches break easing the "jolt" from the fall.

Remember it's not the fall that gets you, it's the sudden stop at the end. Glad you're Ok
Old 10-25-2004, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the best wishes on my safty . I posted as a PSA . If I can fall , 25 years of deer hunting from a varity of elevaed stands anyone can . How many of you get up , strech and move around on a stand and never give it a thought ? Thats how I fell . In 25 seasons I have helped 2 hunters that fell . One fell 15' and broke a leg and arm ,the other fell only 4' and broke an anckle .