Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Learned another Lesson TONIGHT!! >

Learned another Lesson TONIGHT!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Learned another Lesson TONIGHT!!

Old 10-24-2004, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Learned another Lesson TONIGHT!!

WHen Going After a BIG buck, Dont' go by what the weather channel SAYS or any weather thing...[:@]

I saw the BIG 8 I'm after again tonight.. I saw him on the 2nd of OCtober and he saw me and I never saw him again in that spot.. So I finally moved my stand.. I've been waiting for the right wind and it was supposed to be w sw wich would have been perfect.. So I go to my stand.. FIRST TIME IN.. I get there and the damn wind is from the southeast.. BAD for ME.. well instead of turning around and going home i figured the weather channel said the wind is supposed to be ssw wsw by 3 or 4 oclock.. So I stayed.. well the wind never switched and the BIG 8 started coming my way and got to about 30 yards and was facing me.. Then he turned and was walking around cuz he knew something wasnt right.. I drew on him twice, but could never get a GOOD shot off.. He then walked away and him and a doe ran up the ridge after awhile...arrggggggggg[:@]

I figure I'll give that stand one more try with the RIGHT wind and If I dont See him, I'll move it again..to the spot where I seen him go up the ridge.. Or closer to his bedding, where he came from.. Both spots should be SAFE to him in his mind...

Ask me if i'm P*ssed..[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

Got any other good ideas?
Old 10-24-2004, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Learned another Lesson TONIGHT!!

Never Rely on a National Media Outlet. Only way to tell is to Check the wind when your hunting. It's called a Forecast for a reason!!

My Advice: Get 'em next time!!
Old 10-24-2004, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's a case in which mother nature was on the Bucks side and the Buck won. And Thats just the way it goes sometimes....He didn't get BIG By being STUPID.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:42 PM
Dominant Buck

The weather report is only good for rain or no rain. When I saw the post I thought you were going to say you fiancie was with you.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:34 PM
Fork Horn

Go to Radio Shack and get a shirt pocket sized weather radio. They update weather hourly. Also your forecast is most accurate at the town it originates so the weather could be much different up the highway where your stand is located.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:02 AM

[:@]ARGH!!!
Hang in there
Old 10-25-2004, 08:09 AM

I feel your pain! [:@]

After hunting on the ground for a week and a half, I decided it was time to put up a stand (I hate heights) in a really nice tree overlooking the two main paths on my property. One coming from the creek, one from the neighbors woods. I checked the wind after a morning ground hunt and found that the stand location seemed to be safe...

Well -- after putting up the stand, the wind has been wrong every time!!@ [:@][:@][:'(]

Furthermore, I'm in a valley, and the wind tends to swirl making it even more difficult to find a height of the stand that doesn't put me right in the down draft [:'(]

Oh well. That's why it's hunting!
Old 10-25-2004, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

THe weathermen can't predict rain, can't predict temperatures, and sure can't predict wind. I don't know why I even look or try and go by a forecast, they are rarely right, and never right when you really need them to be. [:@]
Old 10-25-2004, 09:48 AM

Good job on exercising some restraint. I know a fair share of idiots that would have just flung an arrow at him when he was facing you at 30 yards and just hoped for the best. You still may get another chance, but if you don't, there are other bigguns out there. You can rest assured that you didn't wound him. Mathewsboy is becoming a MathewsMan. Good judgment on your part.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:55 AM

The weather report is only good for rain or no rain.
Are you sure Fieldmouse? LOL

I don't trust them at all. I hunt about 10 miles from my house in two diffrent directions. I'd rather walk outside with a compass and a powder bottle then listen to those overpaid idots on the weatherchannel. Wind patterns are changed alot by local land features. A ridge, a creek bottom, a slight rise in an open field, foliage and a number of other factors effect wind. I always carry a powder bottle of chalk to check the wind. Last night I checked it with a doe within 30 yards becasue of the way she was acting(nose to the air). I think she was looking for the buck that made the mockscrape she was at. Wind was in my favor and I didn't worry about it and little did she know I made the scrape.

Bottom line I can feel your frusteration but don't believe what you see on the t.v.. Check the condition yourself and check them often and you'll be ahead of the game.

Now go arrow that buck!

Quick Reply: Learned another Lesson TONIGHT!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.