HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Safety Harness Help Needed (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/76580-safety-harness-help-needed.html)

mjqood0 10-21-2004 05:51 AM

Safety Harness Help Needed

I'm attempting to overcome my fear of heights and am going to go ahead and put up my tree stand. My wife insists, and I want to get a full body safety harness. I found one at WalMart for $20. I think it's made by Ameristep or something. It looks strong enough, but hard to put on in the woods in the dark.

Here's my question:

Should I buy the complicated simple harness?
If not, what is the best safety harness system that isn't going to break the bank?

Thanks in advance!

SwampHunt 10-21-2004 06:09 AM

RE: Safety Harness Help Needed

I use the Seat of the Pants full body harness. And yes it has all the belts you have to do each time you put it on. I put it on before I get in the woods and once you get use to it it is no problem. With this system you can use a safety belt attached to the tree as you climb and once at stand height attach the fall tether to the tree before stepping into the stand. I think it costs around 70.00. I have used their harness for 6 years. I have seen some of the vests out that have a harness built in that look nice I dont know if you can use a belt as you climb the tree or not. You have to put your own price on safety. Good luck and be safe.. My brother has the same system and had an accident in a stand and it worked just like it suppose to...

ijimmy 10-21-2004 06:14 AM

Amerastep makes a great harness , just a sugestion , put it on before you go to the woods over your camo .

Jeepnut 10-21-2004 06:53 AM

Any harness is better than none at all. Some of the more expensive models are easier to put on/off & may be a little more comfortable. The harnesses that came with the Gorilla stands that I bought this season aren't too complicated to put on & they seem to be made well. However, the strap that tethers you to the tree isn't much over a foot long, so it doesn't offer much freedom of movement especially for an archer. So while this harness will work and will definitely keep you in your tree, I'd probably end up not using it as often as I should because it isn't comfortable while on stand.

In my opinion, you can't beat the Summit Seat-o-the-pants harness. Cabela's has the "fastback" harness for $40.

Summit Fastback

I know it's twice as much as the one you saw at Walmart, but you won't be disappointed.

adams 10-21-2004 07:40 AM

I own a seat of the pants and the only thing I dislike about it is how long the straps are. I have a cheeper harness that I use more often becasue of it's ease of use but when I head up in my climber it's seat of the pants all the way. If my climber fails I want nothing but the best to keep me attached to the tree. I feel the seat f the pants offers that security.

BowHuntingFool 10-21-2004 09:12 AM

I use the Saftey Harness System! It's a bit more expensive ($100) but whats that when it comes to your life! The Harness is built into a vest so its doesn't get any easier! Plus it pulls all my heavy clothes tight to my body and out of the way of my bowstring at full draw! Heres some info! Remember to get something comfy because you will spend alot of time in it! Good luck!

s. il. hntr 10-21-2004 05:54 PM

i use a full body harness and yes it is a pain to put on but i am afriad of heights so i always use it. seems to help calm my fear knowing i have it on. as everyone else has said put it on before heading into the woods. you'll get used to it

johnch 10-21-2004 06:31 PM

I put on my harness when I put on my camo . I put it under my coat for less bulk and easer layering , on or off.

WVCritter 10-21-2004 06:55 PM

I just recently purchased the Hunter Safety System vest and I really like it. It set me back $89 and some change but it is by far the simplest to use of the body harnesses and it is reverseable and has pockets for storage. The only draw back I can see is the price and it's a bit heavier than the others because of the metal buckles.

BGfisher 10-21-2004 09:04 PM

I can only cringe when I read the origianl question. Break the bank??? None of them will break the bank. Some cost more than others and have certain advantages. Depends on how many options you want. Break the bank. Break your neck. You take your pick.

Why do so many people want to scrimp on the most important piece of equipment they will ever use for treestand hunting? Buy an SOP at the very least. Hunter's Safety System is easier and neater, but costs a few bucks more.