Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many hunt on the ground mostly? >

How many hunt on the ground mostly?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many hunt on the ground mostly?

Old 10-19-2004, 08:41 PM

Default How many hunt on the ground mostly?

How productive has hunting deer been for you?Where I'm hunting,I have no choice but to ground hunt.
What do you do to put the odds more in your favor when your on the ground?Thanks for any replys.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many hunt on the ground mostly?

i love hunting on the ground when your eye level to the deer. nothin else like it. as far as putting the odds on your side i would worry about your scent the most, for me thats the most important thing to worry about other than that i just find a big tree to stand by for a little bit of cover.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:48 PM

I gound hunt only. Because I'm hunting public land. I just can't afford to pay for leased land. Scent is the most important thing for me. Then I worry about concealment. I think I'm going to purchase some ASAT cammon for next season.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

So far this season I've spent more time hunting from the ground than from a stand. I still use the same camo and scent precautions as I would if I were in my stand however on the ground I pay much more attention to my movements.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:46 PM
Typical Buck

I have been hunting the ground only this season.
I try to use good scent control (scent soap in the shower, scent spray on the clothes and bow) then of course play the wind, and sit very very still..and be very cautious of your movements when deer are present
Old 10-19-2004, 11:39 PM
Spike

ALL MY HUNTING IS FROM THE GROUND. I PAY A LOT OF ATTENTION TO MY SCENT CONTROL. I USE COVER SCENTS AND USE THE WIND TO MY ADVANTAGE. THEN I WORRY ABOUT COVER. I ALSO MAKE SURE IF I USE A TREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF ITS GOING TO BE WIDER THAN ME. I ALSO MAKE BLINDS IN FRONT OF ME WITH STICKS AND LEAVES. MAKE SURE YOU DONT TOUCH THE BRANCHES WITH YOUR BARE HANDS. CARRY AROUND SOME RUBBER GLOVES. THEY HELP.

A FEW DAYS AGO I HAD A DOE THREE YARDS AWAY FROM ME. THANK GOD FOR THE CEDAR TREE I WAS NEXT TOO. IF YOU HAVE CEDAR TREES IN YOUR AREA USE THEM. WHEN I WAS SITTING NEXT TO THE CEDAR TREE I GRABBED SOME OF THE CEDAR AND RUB IT ON ME. THE DOE I HAD IN FRONT OF ME WAS ALSO DOWN WIND WHEN IT WAS THREE YARDS AWAY. THE DOE DIDNT SPOOK AWAY AT ALL. IT STAYED AROUND MY AREA FOR ABOUT THIRTY MINUTES. HOPEFULLY THIS HELPS.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:02 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

I hunt mostly on the ground. Wind and knowing where most of the deer are traveling is the most important to me. Breaking up your outline is a must and I make natural blinds with a tall backing, sides and front. Narrow slots are made for shooting so I can stay concealed should I have to turn when a deer comes in from an unexpected direction. Pray for no swirling winds or switching winds as that is my worst fear and nightmare.

Sitting still is a must especially when a deer is in sight. Even if not something you plan on shooting, watch it like a hawk. Deer have better eyes, ears and noses then we do. They will tip you off to any approaching deer and the direction they are coming. They also will be the one to bust you should you focus on a deer you want to shoot and forget about them. Deer are masters at picking up movement. Use it against them and never forget it cause it will bite you in the arse if you do!!

It can be very intense, flustrating but a blast when bowhunting.

One other thing. I will not sit in the same spot twice generally. Unlike a tree stands, your scent is at ground level and will last a long time ( days ) after you leave. Deer are apt to find the spot. Some say deer can't remember one day to the next. I know does that never seem to forget and have watched them detour around my make shift blinds or other's tree stands when they hunt them a lot. If I like the area, I will set up 50 yards or more from the previous spot and wait a few days to a week or more to hunt that area again. I do a lot of scouting of different areas so I have many spots to hunt just on account of that.

Goodluck!!

Tim
Old 10-20-2004, 01:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have the past 6 years. I make natural brush blinds well before the season. I use scent control but very different ways then other people. Ground hunting is much harder. I make most my brush blinds in fence rows or a area with lots of downed grown over trees.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:49 AM

i also hunt from the ground in natural blinds blowdowns i use sevral branches to breakup my outline ect,ect.good luck i love it there is nothing like getting eye level with wildlife lol.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:05 AM
Typical Buck

Its a different mind set. You have to think like what you are hunting. If there was one thing I could say is slow the f&*k down> if you going slow now cut that in half and use bino's go about ten yards and search with the glasses Dont for get to look for bedded deer. Here in Oregon I like to watch the deer until they bed and then move in down wind and shoot them while they sleep. I just fallow at a distance until they bed. This has worked for me on elk two.

Quick Reply: How many hunt on the ground mostly?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.