Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 dad messes me up on a wide tall rack 10 pointer >

dad messes me up on a wide tall rack 10 pointer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

dad messes me up on a wide tall rack 10 pointer

Old 10-19-2004, 06:21 PM

Default dad messes me up on a wide tall rack 10 pointer

it was poring down rain this afternoon and i was huntin around a small 5 acre bean field that still had some beans in it with leaves still on them and the field was right beside a little dirt road that only the me,my dad, and the hunt club uses and me dad was hunting down the road past me about half a mile hunting in the woods. any i had already seen 16 does to far to shot at the first hour i had been in the stand that afternoon and when it started raining harded they went back in the woods. then the rain eased up about 15 minutes befor dark and a monster 10 pointer over 20inches wide steped out into the field about 70 yards away and started coming strait to me. when he got about 45 yards away he was still coming and he was coming fast. when he got about 30 yard he was still walking strait to me and then my dad came around the curve in his truck going home and spoked him. I WAS PISSED he was the biggest buck i had ever had in bow range. i am only 16 and that was the buck of a life time
Old 10-19-2004, 06:56 PM

Default RE: dad messes me up on a wide tall rack 10 pointer

Their will be more big ones you may even get onther chace at him, it sounds to me like your or your dad need to pick up a set of two way radios with ear buds so they won't spook the deer that way who ever you are hunting with won't spook your deer because you can tell that person not to come to you yet or to do anything that might ruin your hunt. Good luck and I hope you get another chance at that bruiser.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:04 PM

Where was your dad going? Don't fret it, I'm sure that buck would have veered off. You wouldn't of had a shot anyway
Old 10-19-2004, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

The good news is he will likely be back. It seems vehicles do not spook deer nearly as much as seeing a hunter on the ground or in a tree.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:11 AM

ya it may have pissed you off but be happy you have a father that introduced you to hunting some young guys dont ever get that chance.

Old 10-20-2004, 05:34 AM

I'm 51 and been bow hunting my whole life. Sit just a second and think about what you're saying. Your buck of a lifetime has a long, long, long way to go...... Now think about all your buddies that would love to be able to go hunting with their dads but can't drag them out of the bar long enough to attempt teaching them this fine sport.......you're a very lucky young man. I admit any time a massive buck is missed is a bummer....but I'd remember every second my father was hunting with me if I were you and make a positive out of it instead of a negative. Since you're bowhunting at 16 I'm positive you'll be seeing plenty of huge bucks in the many years ahead of you. But how many years will your father be able to tromp around the woods with you. Mine has gout so bad he can't walk uneven ground anymore and it kills him to not be able to go rabbitt hunting like he used to---but that's life---it carries on---and so should you. Now you know there's a bruiser in your area and you have something to work hard for. After you stick an arrow in him now, you'll have a much better story to tell around the camp fire with all the "old foogies"........ Keep a hunting and it will keep ya young and out of trouble----sure sounds to me like your father has you on the right path!!!! Good luck with your hunting the rest of the season and it's great hearing stories from our young men!!!!
Old 10-20-2004, 06:17 AM

VA 3 10point bow, I agree with everyones reply so far.. You should enjoy every minute out in the woods with your father, because some day he might not be able to go with you. There has been many times i wished my father was with me!!!! But do to health reasons he can`t.[>:]. Dont worry there will be even bigger bucks come bye you one day. Sounds like you have great father there, thank him for taking you hunting. Take care and good luck.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:20 AM

Well, to start I can tell you're disappointed and I can understand why. Big bucks aren't behind every tree but you're doing something right if you've got one to wander within bow range. Keep at it and devise a plan to meet at a certain time of after dark so you can avoid this in the future. My best advise is to get back out there though. Put some more time on stand and you'll get your crack at him.

Good luck and thank you dad for taking you hunting
Old 10-20-2004, 12:55 PM

VA - enjoy every second in the woods with your dad. Time goes by quick and before you know it he won't be there. Sure wish my dad could be with me out in the woods. You'll have other opportunities.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:35 PM

Va....there is some good advice on here about your hunt....
I'll add my 2 cents here if you don't mind.....
My dad was a game warden. I remember toddling out with him when he'd check traps.
He taught me how to hunt when I was knee high to a grasshopper.
He now lives in New Zealand, (he married a native kiwi). I WISH!! I could hunt with my Dad. I WISH he could see my daughters, and how they love to hunt!!! I usually go hunting alone. It would be wonderful to share a hunt, bad or good with my Dad.

Be thankful your Dad is around & has taught you to love hunting. Don't be too hard on him. There may come a day when you can't hunt with him. That will be worse than blowing the big one.