Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 10-16-2004, 09:51 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-16-2004, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Baiting question/techniques

I have my kids rake up acorns from my parents yard and then spread them under oak trees near my stands. They usually get 2-3 garbage cans full and I only spread them when they stop dropping on their own.
Old 10-16-2004, 04:43 PM

Post your name and address and I am sure someone will be happy to come by and see if your baiting technique will work!
Old 10-16-2004, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

I read a story about baiting for big bucks a few years back and they said to spread the bait over a very large area instead of making a pile. When we use corn we spread it all over and make the deer work for it. Has that technique brought in big bucks? Decent ones but nothing yet that would score well. What I have seen is more scraping and rubbing in the areas and less fighting between the does for the food and those decent bucks coming in for a sniff!!!
Old 10-17-2004, 07:59 AM

i got 2 packs of greenapple jello and 1 strawberry and made a big batch of it and mixed it with the corn. put it out friday. it really smells good and sweet fruity, really strong. i'm gonna go check it out today as we can't hunt on sunday. i let you know what i find. it was an idea from some stuff i bought last year in a jug. it was like gummi bear sludge that smelled like apples and pears. they came in and ate it up the first night it was there. tough though as its just getting cold here and the family doesn't show up in full force until its just a little colder. mtn. deer. they spread the heck out in the spring and summer and hole up on a mtn by the house in the winter, at least this family does.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:51 AM

the whole trail of it is gone, but the pile remains intact. been nudged around a bit and eaten off a little. i took the above advice and kicked it around to spread it out. could be the turkeys, the %$#$%^! turkeys. there's about 55 of them running around around here, i counted, and they are really starting to bother me. they eat everything in sight. no fall season here, but i know this land and they are eating. i feed the deer even after season to try and help 'em out, but have to buy twice everything, at least. i've seen the turkeys eat about 25 lbs of corn in a day in late january.