Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are Coyotes Dangerous? >

Are Coyotes Dangerous?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are Coyotes Dangerous?

Old 10-17-2004, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Are Coyotes Dangerous?

I did see a video on the Outdoor Channel from a hunter shooting his own home video. It showed 2 yotes chase a mature buck out of a field and take him down and eat him! All caught on tape. They were waiting for the buck to come into range and he spooked. The yotes were bouncing thru the field and chasing the buck. Pretty crazy video! Good luck!
Old 10-17-2004, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

If they try to bite me ....i just bite them back
Old 10-17-2004, 11:15 AM

Take the average house pet, Golden retriever, short hair pointer, or some other breed that was not bred to fight and see who wins, the coyote!!
I agree. The average household dog is nothing but a snack for a pack of coyotes. I was just responding to the statement that a coyote will whip any dog. That just isn't true. There are some amazingly aggressive, huge dogs being bred out there. They are completely fearless and double or triple the weight of the average large coyote. I've seen them in action and would much prefer to take my chances against a coyote, than some of these brutes.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Big things come in small packages too. It is not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog. I had a smaller dog that I would put up against any large dog or mulitiple coyotes. Of course he was half dingo. My girlfriends father was a sheep herder who dealt with coyotes on a daily basis here in Idaho. Those heelers would stand their ground to the end. The great perinese can stand up to a whole bunch of those little song dogs also. I wouldn't underestimate a coyote against your normal house pet though. I have seen labs and retrivers with their bellies chewed out. It depends on the situation and the dog. Yes, them coyotes are shy, but can get crazy too. I have seen them yank calfs right out of the hefer as they are being born. As far as human attacks. Keep hunting and don't worry.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:20 AM

We have a lot of coyotes around here... and I have an outdoor Siberian Huskey who has a 100 ft run in the back yard. I've looked out multiple times to see him playing with the yotes...

Went out the other morning at 3am (I'm on the 4am shift) to feed him, and lo and behold there are 4 yotes sleeping in a heap with my dog... One of them growled at me and my dog snapped at him. After that, they are pretty friendly with me. Seem to know that my dog won't put up with them growling at me. My dog also won't put up with them stealing his food cause he chased them off when I put it down.

Granted my dog, he's only 50 lbs, but them Siberians are tuff!!!
Old 10-18-2004, 08:14 AM

I'm pretty sure that they are not dangerous. All the coyotes that i have ever seen have been much more scared of me than i ever should have been of them. I shot one with my bow a week ago that walked under my stand. I think the only reason they will come close enough for a shot is if they have no idea of your presence.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:46 AM

I wouldn't really be all that worried about them. Like kec said, they're the grey ghost of the woods. and they'll know way before you do that you're in the woods. I have hunted coyotes for close to 30 yrs. and have had all kind of different bump in's with them. Most of the encounters were more funny than dangerous. To this day, I have a buddy that won't go into the woods with me at night. We were calling one night, and a coyote came in from behind us. It ran right over my buddy back, and I don't know who was scared more him or the coyote. He went screaming out out the woods like a werewolf was after him. I almost pi..ed my pants laughing so hard. Now I'm sure if by some chance you come up on one, and spook him. He may think he's cornered and may growl, and attack. But that would be near to impossible to get that close to him without it knowing it. The coyote is one of the most adaptable predator we have. 25, 30 yrs. ago we hardly had any coyote's here in Michigan. Now all 83 counties in the state have had reports of them, including Wayne county. And that include the Detroit area. So go out hunting and have a good time. And if at the time you're hunting and the coyote is in season. Take him. Shooting one with your bow is a real trophy.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:02 AM

Great responses Forum, i feel the next round of brewskis are on me![8D]
Old 10-30-2004, 08:37 PM

while i was hunting{on the ground} the other morning before daylight i had one pass not more than 10 feet in front of me and didnt even know i was there until i turned and tried to shoot him...then he ran away as quick as he could