Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent Control Clothing, Your Opinion? >

Scent Control Clothing, Your Opinion?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Control Clothing, Your Opinion?

Old 10-15-2004, 09:09 AM

Default Scent Control Clothing, Your Opinion?

I’m a believer in scent control clothing, but have a question to ask before investing. I bow hunt in Wisconsin, early season can be very warm, late season can be very cold. This temperature change of lets say 70 degrees or more makes me wonder what scent control system to invest in. Do you think you’re better off buying a insulated suit and during the early season do god knows what to keep yourself cool, buy a lighter suit and layer yourself more as season continues, or get the scent control liner as a undergarment to non scent control camouflage. I don’t have the means to buy more than one system so I’m not sure what to do. I think the undergarment may be the way to go but would like any opinions or suggestions. Thanks.

Good Luck To Everyone And Thanks Again!!
Old 10-15-2004, 09:35 AM

Default RE: Scent Control Clothing, Your Opinion?

Pauly

I have a scentblocker plus pant and jacket. If it is real cold I wear my long-jons, then a pair of pants over which my scentblocker.... on my torso I wear 2-3 camo t-shirts depending on weather/temp. I keep my jacket unzipped going to stand and zip up when I get there so I do not sweat - I also move VERY slow to my stands - I basically stalk to them - to avoid noise AND avoid sweat......

when its going to be say60-70 a camo long sleeve tee and a light pair of pants over which my scent suit goes.

Just LAYER your clothing..... it works fine. I NEVER wear my suit directly on my skin....so to avoid excess contamination from skin oils etc.......

I am extra careful taking care of my suit......... and I believe they truely help drastically reduce scent IF you pay attention to ALL scent details..... I could write a chapter on my idea of scent control but I go a little overboard........

just my 2 cents....

GOOD LUCK
Old 10-15-2004, 10:08 AM

Now all this is coming from a Texas viewpoint and I have no idea what you guys actually have to endure during the coldest of days. I have the scentblocker plus pant and jacket and they are too warm for south Texas archery only season and no where near warm when the temps. near freezing (just a few times a year and usually only last till the sun gets up). I wear a t-shirt and shorts and hike into my hunting area (sprayed down with white lightning this year) and then once close to my stand I'll get all dudded up and make the final distance without overheating. When it gets cold I just layer up as needed and then the suit goes over the top of everything. I managed to loose over 100 lbs. last year and my suit is a bit on the large side now so I picked up a new suit and just might use the old one to go over a heavy coat. I think the underware route might be just as good if you are well stocked with camo already. Just wash it all other camo and keep it scent free in a plastic bag. You shouldn't consider the suit as a solution rather as a tool. I do what I can to not smell and go unnoticed but the wind will bust you if all is not right.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

When it is hot I wear my Supprescent clothes because they are lighter than my camo scentlok. Most of the year I wear my Supprescent with the scentlok over it. The supprescent has a built in windstopper layer which dramaticaly adds warmth.

Late season I think I am going to try some Goretex MT050 whitetail extreme clothes, but I will still have that supprescent on under it.

The supprescent rocks. I won't buy another brand of scent control again.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

I bought a Supprescent set last year...it is a light jacket and pant set. Until the temp drops below 40, I wear the jacket and pants as my outer layer, and wear enough layers underneath to keep me comfortable. Once it gets below 40, I wear my jacket and pants under my insulated clothing and use enough layers to keep warm. I made sure the jacket and pants were light enough to wear under my insulated clothing so I could use them year around.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:43 AM

I am in michigan and have the same issue. I finally just bit the bullet and got 2 sets.

scent lok has a line called savanna. it works great for the first 3 weeks in oct, then i purshased a thicker suit. they now have whats called the dakota line but mine predates that.

thats the only way in whick i have found that works.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

IMO it's a waste of money
Old 10-15-2004, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would either get a lightweight suit like the Savanna line and layer underneath for colder weather. Or go with the BaseSlayers and layer overtop in colder weather.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pauly,

For 119.00 Smackerooos... I use this scent lok liner cover all. ITS Super light weight, covers your entire body, if you order the gloves and head cover with it, I did. Anyway its GREAT in 90 degree weather, Its all I wear other than my rubbers boots on hot days.

Once the weather starts cooling off, just add your favorite layer of scent free clothing.

Below is a picture of my "suit" and an almost 100 DEGREE Day ! labor day weekend, 2003.

Old 10-15-2004, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO it's a waste of money
Me 2

Quick Reply: Scent Control Clothing, Your Opinion?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.