Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 cant find my doe >

cant find my doe

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

cant find my doe

Old 10-13-2004, 09:35 PM
Spike

Default cant find my doe

Shot her at 15 yards, the arrow hit with a load crack, my buddy heard it from his stand 80 yards away,she fell right over onto her right side and rolled down the very steep hill that i hunt on.I thought she would be right at the bottom but when we went down there we had a blood trail for 75 yards then nothing.I shot her on the right side and the trail she took she was leaving blood on the left side off the trail on sapplings so i would say my arrow past threw her. Four of us looked for 3 hours but did not find her.Its only getting down to 48 tonight, will the meat be allright if we find her early tommorow?
Old 10-13-2004, 09:38 PM

Default RE: cant find my doe

meat should be alright, get out at first light and good luck.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:39 PM

The meat should be fine, as long as you go in the morning. Sounds like a bad hit...but they happen to all of us once in a while. Good Luck on the recovery.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

How long did you wait before you started to track her? You may have pushed her farther. If you did that then you probly wont find her.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:05 PM
Spike

Dairy King, i waited 40 minutes,I normaly wait an hour or so but from the reaction of the doe i was sure she was down at the bottom of the hill.Wish i would of waited another 30 minutes now, your right i pushed her and will not find her but i have to try in the morning anyway.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah the meat should be fine. Good luck in finding her in the morning.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

The loud crack you heard was your arrow hitting hard bone. Probably the shoulder blade. This shot will result in a lot of blood initially than taper down to nothing as the wound clots. Without penetration through the blade into the vitals it is usually not a fatal shot. You should have found your arrow not far from the site she was shot. Sometimes just a part of the arrow will break off as it is pushed against a hard object such as a tree. The arrow could fall off under such pressure ending several yards from the blood trail. Keep looking till your sure.............dabow
Old 10-14-2004, 01:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

good luck finding her
Old 10-14-2004, 08:16 AM

the arrow hit with a load crack
I shot her on the right side and the trail she took she was leaving blood on the left side off the trail on sapplings so i would say my arrow past threw her
Not to discorage you but it sounds like you more then likely hit the shoulder blade. If that's the case I doubt the arrow passed through but that makes the blood on the left side of the deer puzzeling. Did you find the arrow behind where the deer was shot or along the path where the deer fled?

Was the deer completely broadside or slightly quartering away? Because of where you found blood you may have caught the lungs and drove your arrow into the opposite shoulder or leg bone. That would explain the loud crack as well as the blood. I think this sineero makes the most sence. Get out the early and see what you can find. If there was a lot of blood and it dried up @ about 75 yards she probably belld out ad won't be far.

Good luck and keep us posted. I'm curious to hear where the arrow hit for future reference.