Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mature does vs. younger does >

Mature does vs. younger does

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mature does vs. younger does

Old 10-13-2004, 12:49 PM

Default Mature does vs. younger does

I just thought I'd run this by yall. The land I hunt and the people I hunt with are under relatively strict quality deer management. Now, over the past few seasons, we have decided to take the younger does and leave the big, mature ones. There are several reasons. First off, mature does will have healthier fawns, and usually more. They also know the ropes when it comes to raising their fawns, therefore giving them a little jolt over the younger does fawns. Second, biologists have proven that mature bucks prefer mature does. The meat is also better and that young doe isn't going to be anything but a bigger doe. Overall, we really have seen a healthier herd around my property. So next time that young doe comes strolling by, you might consider taking her instead of waiting on that "big ol' doe." What are yall's thoughts on this?
Old 10-13-2004, 12:57 PM

Default RE: Mature does vs. younger does

I'm not prejudice If it dosn't have spots it's fair game IMO. Tag situations may force people to shoot older larger does to maximize their tags but where I hunt I canshoot virtually unlimited does so if I have a chance to shoot a small er doe I will in a heart beat. The problem as I see it is when people think they are shooting a small doe and arrow a button. That sucks IMO. If it's legal it's legal but if your practicing qdm it's very important to identify weather it's a doe or button and when in doubt let it walk.

That's my $0.02 anyways
Old 10-13-2004, 01:02 PM

I have read that a mature doe will run off her male offspring. Therefore you would be losing more potential bucks on your property by leaving them and taking the younger ones. I understand your thoughts but if you shoot the mature does the young deer will likely stay and not be run off.

Nature will weed out the weak and dumb young deer for you. I may be wrong but I don't see any advantage to taking young does over older does.

Besides if you were an old buck and had your choice between staying somewhere with a bunch of old does or going somewhere with some of them young does where would you stay?
Old 10-13-2004, 01:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: SW Iowa Hunter

I have read that a mature doe will run off her male offspring. Therefore you would be losing more potential bucks on your property by leaving them and taking the younger ones. I understand your thoughts but if you shoot the mature does the young deer will likely stay and not be run off.
You actually have some misinformation given to you. Yes it is true that doe of any age will push off their buck offspring but it is natures intent. This ensures that inbreeding back to the doe by the offspring or family offspring by the offspring buck when their estrous cycle does not happen. AND, it is natures intent that these buck leave the area when for breeding purposes ensuring that inbreeding is a best rare. This is called yearling dispersal. The new buck offspring in your area will move off into another area which sometimes can be several miles to more than 20. At the same time, buck offspring from other areas are moving into your area. By shooting mature does, your not preventing yearling dispersal because the former offspring of said doe is still there and the buck offspring from her should not breed back to the offspring from the pervious year. This is why does will form a matriarch family meaning does from several generations will hang together in a family herd. The buck offspring is pushed off each year and won't likely leave the area until into their next season. So, in closing you are correct but slightly misguided. I'm not criticizing your information, just trying to broaden it.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:46 PM

Don't worry my wife tells me all the time I am misinformed.

I agree with you on the yearling dispersal. But wouldn't there still be inbreeding if the does are running off only thier buck offspring? I am sure a mature buck doesn't care which doe he is breeding therefore wouldn't there be more of a chance of a father breeding young daughter than a mother breeding young son?

I am trying to keep this a family board, but I have read the same things you have and didn't really agree with thier reasonings behind it.

A young buck will usually be prevented by the older bucks from breeding for at least a couple of years. Usually as long a time or longer than it takes a young doe to be ready. If that is the case I do agree that the does will run off thier young and they do form doe groups but is cross breeding really the reason or are we just giving them human traits in order to understand it?
Old 10-13-2004, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did you all see Bill Winke's short article on shooting doe (Bowhunting)? I thought is was very informative, to the point, and made several good points about why it is important to shoot doe. I couldn't find it on their website, but if you have the mag and glossed over it - it is worth the read.
key points:
1) does control the population (which can greatly help hunting - buck/doe ratios, etc.)
2) certain aged does can effect what deer are born (older doe tend to produce doe fawns, whereas young doe tend to have buck fawns)
3) also, young doe tend to have single fawns, old doe tend to have twins (another key for herd management)
4) orphaned fawns are more likely to stay in their home range (their mom won't run them off)
Old 10-13-2004, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard that if you want more fawn bucks to harvest the mature does, and that the younger does will actually have more bucks fawns. And that the big mature does tend to have more doe fawns, so if you want more bucks we should harvest the big female does.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

certain aged does can effect what deer are born (older doe tend to produce doe fawns, whereas young doe tend to have buck fawns)
3) also, young doe tend to have single fawns, old doe tend to have twins (another key for herd management)
Very informative, thanks for that i had it backwards...............too lil too late or it wouldnt have cost this young doe her life. I am doin management on my property but couldnt remember old doe or young doe which one was more apt to have buck fawns[] That is okay there is plenty where this one came from, but i will now shoot the older does and have my guest only shoot the older does as well, thanks.Mick

Old 10-13-2004, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

I always will take a mature doe over a yearling given the choice. A old smart doe is a trophy in my book.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the comments. I'm gonna do some research and get back to yall. There were a few things mentioned I was not aware of. Again, thanks