Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Just Tell Me He'll Be Bigger Next Year!!! >

Just Tell Me He'll Be Bigger Next Year!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Just Tell Me He'll Be Bigger Next Year!!!

Old 10-13-2004, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default Just Tell Me He'll Be Bigger Next Year!!!

Sunday afternoon I passed on a pretty nice 8 pointer at 30 yds. I debated on wether to shoot him at the time because as he was aproaching I couldn't get a real good look at him through the small brush & grass. As he walked away I got a little better look and wondered if I screwed up!
Last night I didn't get the chance to get out hunting but right before sunset I climed on top of the grain bin where I can get a pretty good look of my hunting land through the spotting scope.
I saw him again...... He's got a nice tall rack with a 15-16" outside spread, G2's are around 8'' G3's smaller. Not great mass. I'm guessing around 100" total score. My biggest Is and 8 that scores around 80''.

If I don't take him and my brother inlaw sees him slug hunting he's history. I would like to leave him untill next year.

How much will he gain in a Year?????
Who would wait and who would shoot????In my shoes.

Thanks for your imput,
Old 10-13-2004, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Just Tell Me He'll Be Bigger Next Year!!!

Hmm..don't know..if I shoot or not. Depends what other bucks are roaming on your land. If he's a good-sized buck for the area, then you gotta tag him. As for will he get better..that also depends on his current age and food and cover availbale.

If you decided to pass it was probably the right thing to do, at least at that time. At least thats what I keep telling myself. I passed up a Buck this year, that I've thought about a lot!!
Old 10-13-2004, 08:22 AM

He'll definately be bigger next year is he gets to hide through slug season. I hope that makes you feel better.

IMO a 100" buck is respectable. In some parts of the country he'd be considered a monster. I too have let deer pass and then thought I'd messed up but this is hunting. You may make up your mind to shoot him if he presents anouther shot and then decide to pass again. Ultimately only you can make that decision. With proper nutrition he'll be bigger next year if he gets the opportunity to grow but if there are no qdm rules in place on your hunting ground he's fair game.

If I were you I'd make up my mind weather or not to take him and if the shot is presented again be ready to act. Good luck and I hope he presents you with another shot wether or not you decide to shoot.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

In your part of the country I would say it's very likely that if he makes it through this year he'll put on close to 30" next year, if not a little more. He's probably a 2 1/2 year old deer right now, and from 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 they really put on some mass, tine length, and possibly some extra tines. Yes, it would be ideal to allow every buck to reach maturity before we harvest them, but in the real world that just isn't possible. In my opinion, if he would be your biggest buck to date with a bow, go ahead and harvest him. You can't start off shooting only trophy bucks or you're never going to build up the proper confidence, patience, and dedication that it does to do so on a consistant basis. It's like they say, you have to crawl before you can walk. Even the best trophy hunters in the world started out shooting small bucks and working their way up. If you get another chance at him, by all means take it.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is it YOUR land???? I'll assume that it is since that is what you posted.
Well then start helping him live to next year by telling your brother in law about the buck, that you have seen him twice AND passed on him with the bow. You want this buck to grow another year to see what he can become.

We have a "8 Point and Outside the ears" rule that my cousins implemented on their land. Not everyone likes it, but if they want to hunt there those are the rules. Shoot anything smaller and it is a $100 fine that goes to food for the group, stand maintanence, etc. Don't pay and you are not welcome back the next year. It really makes you take a good look at a buck before pulling the trigger. If you aren't sure don't shoot. The good thing is that now we look at a buck like the one you did, and it will almost always make it another year. Hunting is much more enjoyable now and this rule has made our hunting group much tighter knit, seeing some huge rubs, or a big buck cruising doe right out of archery range.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:53 AM

Don't question yourself. If it was meant to be it would have happened. Sure he will be bigger next year. Could be a 10 point with more mass next year. If he makes it that is. I would say if you get another chance at him don't feel bad about taking him. If he is 20 inches better than your best buck go for it. Don't get caught up in all the got to wait for a big buck hype. Do what you want to do.

I have hunted for over 20 years and taken more deer/bucks than I can remember, some of my best hunts ended in little bucks or does. I would say if you want him, get him.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:04 AM

I did the same thing this year on a similar deer ! The only things I know for sure is that he will be bigger next year if he makes it and that if I would've shot him he wouldn't be !!
Old 10-13-2004, 10:03 AM
Typical Buck

I always will pass on a deer that I am skeptical about. If I look at him and have to think, even for a second, if I would shoot him or not, then I don't. The only time I will shoot a deer is if he is a no doubter. If a deer walks in and I instantly think he is a shooter, then that is when I will attempt take him. I believe if you pass a deer that has potential, then there is always a chance of him getting bigger. Ya, he might get shot down the road, but if you would have shot him you would have never given him a chance to grow. Now, given the biggest deer you have taken was 80", then I possibly would have taken him. I think you did the right thing by passing him, I think he will definately be a bigger deer next year. Just my $.02, take or leave it.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I lived where you do, I would have done the same thing. He will definitely be bigger next year.
Now if that same deer comes around me where I hunt....I'd probably take him. A 110" buck is a real good one around here....100" pretty nice, especially with a bow. Good luck
Old 10-13-2004, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

2 years ago I had a 6pt. with no brow tines on the land I hunt on. I prayed he'd make it through shotgun he did & the next year he was a 10pt. You did the right thing now you have to keep him alive.

Quick Reply: Just Tell Me He'll Be Bigger Next Year!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.