Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 looking for advice on scents and calling >

looking for advice on scents and calling

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

looking for advice on scents and calling

Old 10-12-2004, 08:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default looking for advice on scents and calling

I plan on hunting in a tree stand and was just wondering if anyone had any advice on wether or not its too early in the season to use scents or when the best time to use them would be. etc, etc . I have heard some good things about "the can" also and was wondering if anyone had any experiences using that type of call. Thanks
Old 10-12-2004, 09:12 PM

Default RE: looking for advice on scents and calling

Both of the items you mentioned (Scent and "The Can") are best used during the Pre-Rut and Rut when bucks are actively chasing does, assuming the scent you were talking about was an estrous type scent.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:26 AM
TDH

The best thing I have found that works in my area is mixing the bleat, grunt, and rattling. The CAN is what I use for my doe bleat. I will then do a couple of grunts then rattle a little. If you work them together it sounds natural. With calling deer almost anything will work it just depends on the deers mood. My best results have been with the Earth waffers and coon urine. Pin on the scent waffers and spray coon urine on your boots, at the base of your tree and when in your tree stand spray some coon urine on the limbs around you. I have been blessed with seeing many deer out of my tree stand when most other people have not seen a deer.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:03 AM

I have used the can in both bow and gun seasons with moderate success. Both times brought in "decent" bucks. I missed the one with the bow, he came in so fast I was not even ready. And then he left as fast as he came in. The one in gun season came in slow and quite............. nailed him at 25 yards.

As for scents, I don't use any cover scents. I'm very careful about keeping myself and my clothing as scent free as possible, and I ALWAYS hunt the wind. THAT, I believe, is a very important factor. I always make mock scrapes and will use a variety of scents in them.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

As far as calling there is one basic grunt call that can be used from the beginning of the season to the very end, and that's the short grunt.

It is a relatively quiet sound that lasts about 1/2 second. It says (or so I've been told): "Here I am. Where are you?" It is a communications sound that deer use all the time.

I've tried it and it does seem to work, especially in the early season when deer seem to be particularly curious about other deer.

I killed two in the first week of the Ohio season. Both responded to a short grunt.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:57 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for all the advice, i'll try to put it to use tomorrow and throughout the next couple days while hunting.

as of right now i'm planning on using a gel scent from James Valley Scents that contains estrous urine and doe and buck internal glands. I'll be hunting a treeline about a mile off from a river, and have spotted a big buck on the edge of that treeline.

I'm always up for advice or new ideas, so if anyone has anything I'd love to here it

Thanks,
SDarcher
Old 10-14-2004, 07:16 AM

There is a great article about scents and calling and the different periods in the new Bowhunt America magazine. Found it interesting.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:46 AM

Best advice I could give anyone about your topic..... elimenate your scent, use plenty of cover scents. As the other guys have told you, the can (in my opinion) is the greatest invention to-date. I called up a real nice 8 point last year (and stuck him), but it's only good on pre-rut and rut. I tried it last winter (Jan) on a good 12 pointer and he just turned and walked the other way.
As far as the attractent scents go, I've never had any luck with them. They seem to attract hunters not deer (in my opinion). Just alittle FYI, I'm fortunate to hunt 100+ days of my 145 days of Ar. bow season
Old 10-17-2004, 10:38 PM
Fork Horn

Just thought i'd update u guys. i left for home after my last class on thursday morning and set up the tree stand and was in it by 4 pm, and I arrowed my first buck at 6:30 p.m.

I'll post a picture once i get it downloaded to the computer

thanks again for the advice
Old 10-18-2004, 06:24 AM

did you use any scents or calling?

Quick Reply: looking for advice on scents and calling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.