Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How much of hunting is confidence >

How much of hunting is confidence

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How much of hunting is confidence

Old 10-12-2004, 06:06 PM

Default How much of hunting is confidence

How big a part do you think confidence plays in hunting? I know that once I've had some success I go out and just believe that I will find animals and get close, and then when I don't get one them I feel likes its more of a bump in the road rather then a failure. The same is true when I don't find animals as it seems like I just get frustrated and can't get close to save my life. Is there any way to stay confident when nothing seems to be going your way?
Old 10-12-2004, 06:37 PM
kec

Default RE: How much of hunting is confidence

Our Bow season opens 10/15. I have done my scouting, placed my treestands (14 of them) set-up & reviewed the game cams, etc. and am Highly confident of success....just as I always am on opening day. Opening day comes (judging from many seasons past) and nothing....LOL. BUT...I have confidence in my hunting and shooting abilities and spend lots of time in the woods as I also turkey & coyote hunt. Attitude is a big part of hunting for me, but most times they win & I lose, but usually it all ends up working out in the end where they let me win a few too. Curiosity may kill the cat, but patience kills the deer. Just my thoughts.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:44 PM

i think luck plays a much bigger role than confidence. because no matter how you prepare, how much scouting to do, how much time practicing, that deer still has to walk past your stand at the right time and at the right location.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:50 PM

I think confidence is a huge part of bow hunting alot more than I think luck has anything to do with it. Like If you are confident in your shooting skills than you will have no problem taking the shot at any range you have set for your self(if you feel you have to rely on luck to make the shot then maybe you shouldn't take the shot) You also have to be confident in your scouting skills if you put the proper time into scouting and set yourself up in many different locations to compensate for wind, watering holes,feeding areas and bedding areas than you will be prepared for anything( if you scout an area and see deer and thats the only time you have scouted the area and you hunt it then yes you would have to rely on luck to see an animal walk by your stand) when I scout an area and I see deer i return to that area more than a few times(from a distance of course) and make sure I know exactly where the deer are moving to and from. You have to remember that before the rut and sometimes even the begining of the pre rut deer are very predictable and lazy animals they will take the easiest fastest route from bed to water to feed as they can. so once you know their movement it should be confidence in the work you put in prior to your hunt that gets you that animal not luck. This is my personal opinion and the way I hunt I do not intend to offend anyone do not critsise anyone who does or feels differently. Good luck and happy hunting to all.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think confidence is everything. It will keep you in your stand longer and make you more persistent. Have you ever noticed how the really dedicated hunters have all the luck? Blind luck surely plays into it some as it does in most everything else but hard work and dedication to your sport will make you successful and that will build confidence. Just my 2 cents worth after 26 years into bowhunting.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it is critical to have confidence in your gear and your shot. If you question any of it, you may not make a good decision when it comes time to take the deer. But on the other hand its patience, luck, and educated trial and error that will put you in the right spot. As long as I am seeing deer I am happy. If I get the buck that is just a bonus to my time spent in the woods.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:19 PM

Confidence is the most important thing to worry about when doing hunting in anything, none the less bowhunting.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Confidence breeds patience. The more confident you are the more patience you will have.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:14 AM

Confidence breeds patience. The more confident you are the more patience you will have.
Very true !!

Confidence is the most important aspect of bowhunting to me...........from equipment to target practicing to actually hunting !!

BTW.........best thread I have seen in some time !
Old 10-13-2004, 05:48 AM

I think you can have confidence in your gear and in your setup, but in the end there is unavoidably a dose of dumb luck or coincidence to have that animal walk near you. You can apply skill to your scouting, and make your best GUESS as to where to hang that stand, but it's not all about the hunter's skill.

By definition hunting is unpredictable, and if you could base success entirely on your skill, then it just wouldn't be hunting.

No matter what we might tell ourselves, or what the magazines and television shows tell us, a deer is going to do whatever it darn well pleases.

Quick Reply: How much of hunting is confidence

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.