HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Best way to practice in winter??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/75598-best-way-practice-winter.html)

mjqood0 10-12-2004 08:12 AM

Best way to practice in winter???

I know it's a little early to be worrying about this, but how and where do all you practice in the winter?

I'd love an indoor range, but I don't have enough length in any structure to make this happen. I live in Upstate NY, so outdoor practice is pretty much out. I started looking around at ranges -- the closest range is at a pro-shop 15 minutes away. They charge 30 dollars for ten 1/2 hour sessions. This sounds reasonable and I may do it this year. I also looked at league shooting, but have yet to find much info.

Where to all you guys shoot to stay in shape during the winter months? And if you don't mind me asking, how much do you spend to do so?

Thanks for any help!

adams 10-12-2004 08:26 AM

RE: Best way to practice in winter???

I live in Maine so I know what you mean about not being able to shoot outdoors. I think that your best bet is to cough up the $30.00. That isn't all that bad IMO.$6.00 an hour and if you only shoot an hour a week to keep your mussles toned you should be fine. I personally like to shoot more (becasue I like shooting) but find it tough in the winter. Come March and I'll be outside again shooting in 30 degree weather.

kevin1 10-12-2004 08:36 AM

Gee I feel priveledged now !
My local proshop has a 40 yard range with targets and 3-Ds and they only charge $5 for as long as you want to shoot .

Maybe you need to move ? ;)

zak123 10-12-2004 08:38 AM

I just go in my backyard. We don't get snow and it feels kinda good out.

mjqood0 10-12-2004 09:19 AM

Gee kevin1! I'm jealous[:o]

Around here, everything seems to have it's price. But seriously -- I rarely shoot more than a half hour or so at a time. I am specifically working on my form this year, and I find that after a half hour, my concentration tends to go down and I don't want to develop any bad habits.

I guess i'll cough over the money when the time comes!

JeramyK 10-12-2004 09:34 AM

I'm fortunate enough to be able to practice to 20 yards in my basement. It's good for keeping the muscles toned. However I force myself to shoot outside on some of the coldest days of the year. We have a late archery season from Dec. 27 - Jan. 15. I like to get into my cold weather hunting clothes and get used to the feeling of the added bulkiness.

huntingheck69 10-13-2004 12:45 PM

I am from Sakatchewan,Canada and we can get anywhere from 1 foot to 4 feet in the fields I can always go and sling a few rounds at the indoor range at the pro shop but my favorite thing to do is shoot bush rabbits coyoties and anything else that I can leagally shoot the only thing is I may have to fight off 15 to 30 degrees celcius below zero but when you live in Saskatchewan long enough you build some what of a tollerance to the cold which helps me last alittle longer as long as I am dressed properly. fun fun

Rick James 10-13-2004 09:17 PM

ORIGINAL: mjqood0

I know it's a little early to be worrying about this, but how and where do all you practice in the winter?

I'd love an indoor range, but I don't have enough length in any structure to make this happen. I live in Upstate NY, so outdoor practice is pretty much out. I started looking around at ranges -- the closest range is at a pro-shop 15 minutes away. They charge 30 dollars for ten 1/2 hour sessions. This sounds reasonable and I may do it this year. I also looked at league shooting, but have yet to find much info.

Where to all you guys shoot to stay in shape during the winter months? And if you don't mind me asking, how much do you spend to do so?

Thanks for any help!
mjqood0,

I hope to find a place too but I will be just a bit east of you in Clifton Park/Albany area. I am just moving to that area in about 2 weeks, so hopefully I will be able to find a proshop that will have an indoor setup. When I was in Tioga County, PA there was a local proshop that had a nice indoor setup with mechanical 3D targets, and it was heated with a nice coal stove. We would shoot in there all night, and had tournaments for a $20 entry fee, hopefully there is something like this in the Albany area.

TimberCreek 10-13-2004 10:04 PM

I get my wife to strap antlers on her head and run back and forth across the back yard, kind of gets me in the mood! Huntin mood!

jepcho 10-13-2004 11:11 PM

My dad and I set up a range inside where he works, thats where I get my shooting done.