Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 other enterainment while hunting? >

other enterainment while hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

other enterainment while hunting?

Old 10-11-2004, 07:20 PM

Default other enterainment while hunting?

Hey, dont get me wrong, but. Well, everyone is different and thats ok. It seems that some of us bring books and magizenes to the stand. This really got to me. I thought part of hunting was to "get away" and enjoy the outdoors. I know an all-day hunt can get long when it is slow. Myself, I spend time poundering why a tree grew a certian way. Or watch the little noise makers hunt for food for winter. There seems to be too much to admire in the outdoors while waiting for Mr. buck to come along, then to read a book. I'll save that for the "Can" at work....just my thoughts. good luck!
Old 10-11-2004, 07:32 PM

Default RE: other enterainment while hunting?

each to thier own i guess, maybe some guys dont get the chance to enjoy a book or magazine in the can, maybe they really enjoy the peace and relaxation they get from reading a book in the great outdoors.

personally i already carry too much crap with me without lugging the extra weight of a book, magazine or gameboy
Old 10-11-2004, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I carry a book with me and get some reading done during the early season, but once the end of October starts rolling around I tend to put the book down and be a lot more attentive. Not that I'm not paying attention durin the early season, but with activity being a lot slower and closer to dawn/dusk it gives me the chance to read without being bothered. Having a 5 month old at home and working like a maniac doesn't afford me much time to read anymore, so I take every opportunity I can get. But believe me, even with reading for a few minutes here and there, there's still plenty of time to ponder the great mysteries in life while you're waiting for that big one to walk by.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I let nature entertain me. Sometimes the time flies by when I'm watching squack's, chipmunks, bird's, and just nature in it's beauty.

I have never taken a book or magazine with me into the field. Just haven't found a reason to.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:56 PM

I hunted from Dawn to Dusk Saturday, and the only thing I managed to see in 12 hours was ONE squirrel. I was going out of my mind; I might bring a book in the future.

The funny thing is I choose to be stuck in a tree stand bored out of my mind, can you imagine what prision must be like? Multiply on bad day hunting by 10 to life.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always have a book with me, reading relaxes me, around here seeing more than 1 deer in a year makes it a good year.

I don't read non-stop. I mostly sit and watch nature, but will read occassionally. When I read, its a page, look around, read a page, look around. I will also read 1 chapter, then put the book down for a while.

Can't say I have never missed out on a deer while reading, but I have never been caught red handed by one in close. I saw a deer in PA last week that I would not have seen if I were reading, she was 75 yards out and I never heard a sound out of her, she was moving VERY slow and was hard to see. Had I been reading I wouldn't have seen her. But I get very fidgetie while sitting in a stand, reading helps me stay still.

--Bob
Old 10-12-2004, 11:38 AM

I tend to agree with you bucks4me but i have this one stand that is in the thickest stuff you can imagine, can only see 20 yds in one direction. Don't see very many animals in there and have to hear the deer coming and be ready when I see them. I get extremely bored in this stand cause there is nothing to look at, nothing to watch, it's just a boreing stand.

See deer out of it though so I continue to hunt there.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was watching the Outdoor Channel over the weekend. On one of them hunting shows, the hunter was waiting for this monster buck to come down to feed, he killed time by playing a Yahtzee electronic game in his stand. I thought, man this guy is in deer eutopia, and he is playing Yahtzee. Talk about being spoiled! I think most of us would be on extra high alert in his situation.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't lie. I usually take my cell phone with me because it has a clock and in case of an emergency. Well I was out the other night and I remembered that my cell phone had a deer hunting game on it that I downloaded so I played it for a few minutes. I figure if I'm not seeing anything in the woods at least I can shoot a bunch of really tiny ones on my phone.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:00 PM

I would say I've played over 5,000 games of Yahtzee while in the stand waiting for Mr./Mrs. Deer.
he killed time by playing a Yahtzee electronic game in his stand
Although, I'm not hunting in deer eutopia

Quick Reply: other enterainment while hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.