Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 does anybody trail with dogs? >

does anybody trail with dogs?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

does anybody trail with dogs?

Old 10-06-2004, 01:53 PM

Default RE: does anybody trail with dogs?

I have a yellow lab that just loves to track. It is kind of hard to hold a 100 lb dog on a leash through the brush. As long as she finds em I will do what I have too. Any dog can be good at it.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

There's a bill in the House for PA as we speak to have it allowed. I'm sure it will be over regulated but at least passed if passed. The first purchase I'll make is for a Wire Hair Daschund like used by a member her named Kevin. He hails from Texas and breeds these dogs for just such a purpose. I don't have his website handy at the moment but it has some good information on it as well. His wife used to post here as well under Silverbullet....Kevin and Stacy Breux(sp). I'll post his site when I get home. It's on my home pc.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:55 AM

Almost any dog can be trained to find deer, if they have even the least bit of hunt in them. I know a guy with a pit bull that can find them with the best of them. Another guy I know, has a part great dane that finds them real quick, although you've got to be right with this dog or it will start eating the deer and it can eat real fast. Any hound will do a fantastic job, but not many houndsmen want their dogs anywhere near a deer.

It can take some training, but if you start young enough and know what you're doing, I doubt there is a breed that couldn't do a decent job. It has been shown that dogs can be trained to trail almost anything if you know how to train them.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

I was thinking about having my lab that I am going to get and train for birds do this. But if they were off by themselves would they chase a deer if they found the scent?
Old 10-07-2004, 04:50 PM

But if they were off by themselves would they chase a deer if they found the scent?
Most likely. Once they know you want them to follow it, they usually want to. Deer are easy for them to follow and dogs have a natural attraction to them. I doubt I'd train a hunting dog to track deer. The ones we use are always working dogs that hang around the farm or yard and do not have the instinct to be constantly trailing something. They are easier to control and we don't have to worry about them trailing off-game when we take them hunting.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:02 PM

I got my son a weimeraner puppy and its now 4 months old, and that is my plan.. I want to get her trained to track on leash,, but im going to try to train her on blood,, cause i dont want her to run deer,, but i may have to train her on deer scent,, she has a great nose and uses it constantly, i dont bird hunt much so this will be her big job along with being a pet,, but i hope it works out.. Ive got to get one shot soon so i can put her on it,, even if i see it fall,, that will have to help her a lot.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:10 PM
Typical Buck

I was just talking with my friends about how nice it would be to have a dog that could track a deer for you when we were trying to trail my gutshot doe....
Old 10-08-2004, 07:35 AM

So how does a person lay a trail to train one of these dogs? Do you have to train it on a real trail after someone shoots a deer? or is there a way you can artificially lay a trail. I ordered that book, so i will probobly learn from that, i was just curious right now, thats why i ask.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

The best thing to do is collect deer blood. Have your friends collect as much as you can. If that is not available, go to the local processor and get some, if that doesn't work, go to the local butcher and get some pig or cow blood. I will usually blend to the blood up (get a blender from kmart for $15) and then freeze it in 4 and 8 ounce flip top containers. When laying the trail at first make it easy but don't go overboard with blood, I use about 2 onces every 30 yards or so, go straight at first (mabe 10 yards) and place some treats along the way. Let the trail age at least 4 hours. At the end of the trail place something the dog loves maybe his favorite treats or even something dead if it is available. This is just breif, if you really want to do it right, I'd get the book that I suggested.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:35 AM

why do you blend the blood before freezing it?
Do you run your dog in the dark most of the time?
Also, what if your deer does not bleed?

again, I have ordered that book, just to anxious to learn right now. Can't stop askin questions.

Quick Reply: does anybody trail with dogs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.