Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent control, what do you do? >

Scent control, what do you do?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent control, what do you do?

Old 10-05-2004, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default Scent control, what do you do?

As some of you have read, I have been busted by an uncooperative wind sending my scent downstream. This has cost me two opportunities. I live in Florida so the heat and bugs are bad during bow season. My std practice is to wash my hunting cloths in scent free detergent, park 1/4 mile away from my stand and walk in. By the time I arrive, I am somewhat sweaty. I am also using thermacell b/c the bugs are unbearable.

What do you do to control scent? What suggestions do you have for me?

regards,
Old 10-05-2004, 06:46 PM

Default RE: Scent control, what do you do?

Tealboy, I wish I could help ya. Up here the last thing we have to worry about during hunting season. I can't imagine it being hot during hunting, it's usually all I can do to keep felling in my toes.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:48 PM

If you hunt from a stand maybe you could go higher? Maybe take more time getting to your stand, possibly resting often or even still hunting to your stand. Sorry, I know these are kind of general.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:28 PM

Put your clothes outside the night before the hunt...if not longer. Take a shower in the morning and use scent-free shampoo. Wear a hat. Wear scent free boots. I follow these rules and I have been seen by deer more than I have been winded. I found a solution for being unseen...make your own cover!(i.e. cut branches and leaves from surrounding brush)
Good Luck!