Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 private 3 day hunt Climber, Blind, Hang-on? >

private 3 day hunt Climber, Blind, Hang-on?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

private 3 day hunt Climber, Blind, Hang-on?

Old 10-05-2004, 05:23 PM

Default private 3 day hunt Climber, Blind, Hang-on?

I've been selected in a lottery for a 3-day bow hunt starting Nov. 12th. The hunt will take place in a Park reserve. With close to 100 other hunters. The area is a mixed bag of wetlands prairie grass and woods. 60% woods w/ lots of Oaks. What would your 1st choice under these circumstances? Climbing stand, Hang on stand, or a pop up ground blind.

The rules state you can leave your stand over night during the hunt but may not set it up before the hunt.

You can not use screw in steps or damage any bark on Oak trees. (Oak wilt disease).

You must park in designated parking areas in the park reserve.

You can not reserve an area before the hunt. 1st come 1st serve.

Gates open at 5 am.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:46 PM
kec

Default RE: private 3 day hunt Climber, Blind, Hang-on?

I would scout for some white oaks on a ridge and try & get there first...lol.
you didn't give an idea how large the area was so its hard to determine if there is 1 hunter per acre or per 1000 acres. Would use a climber or blind depending on how crowded the area was, if it were me. Not a big fan of strap on steps or ladder type sticks to hang a stand. I've never used a blind until this year scouting (bow not open here yet). But looks like it's a pretty good tool so far. Had 5 deer yesterday within 20 feet of blind. Had 3 on another property within 15 yards the day before. Although I have 10 satnds on my property (ladder & hang ons) and another 2 across the street, I think I'm gonna be in a blind opening day.

KEC
Old 10-06-2004, 08:13 PM

I think the area is around 500 acres.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Climber...

The hunt is short, you can carry it in, find a tree...and carry it out. Good a chance as any on shooting a deer outta it.

Good luck!
Old 10-06-2004, 10:21 PM
kec

Hmmm 1 hunter/5 acres! I'd use a climber or a blind. On day 1 I'd try and set up on some heavily used travel routes that head to thick cover. On day 2 & 3 I'd put it in the nastiest, thickest place I could find and still get a shot off. My guess is that the deer will head to heavy cover once they figure out what is going on. Wish I was there just to see a 100 hunters going into the woods at the same time. Wonder if it will be like a stampede?

Good Luck
KEC
Old 10-07-2004, 01:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Climber,several years ago they opened a park up near here. But it was a gun hunt with about the same statistics. WOW I spent most of the time on the ground behind a huge tree.Every 5 minutes a herd of deer would run by and the war started. When I finally connected,My son pulled my deer out and we passed a guy sitting on a chair and there must of been 3 dozen empty shells on the ground.I bet I herd over 200 shots that day
Old 10-07-2004, 04:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'd use the climber. With all those others in the woods, no way would I leave anything in there like a hang on unless you want to loose it.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hang on.....

..but don't leave it out overnight.

My reasoning is simple.

First off I would choose the treestand over the groundblind because of the better viewing level and shot opportunities. Second, I would choose the hang on over the climber because there may be a tree or trees that you would like to sit in but cannot because of some branches, etc... If you use a climber then you would have to either prune away and I am sure that is probably not going to be tolerated on the land you are talking about hunting or find a tree that will allow climber usage but in a less opportune location.

A hang on with 8-10 strap on tree steps or two-three sections of climbing sticks would be my choice. The most versatility in terms of putting the stand up with alot of mobility overall and increased shot opportunities.

- not the comfiest or easiest to use but definitely the best option choice considering the situation....if I were in your shoes that is.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:30 AM

I would choose the hang on over the climber because there may be a tree or trees that you would like to sit in but cannot because of some branches, etc... If you use a climber then you would have to either prune away and I am sure that is probably not going to be tolerated on the land you are talking about hunting or find a tree that will allow climber usage but in a less opportune location.
Or you can use a climber and ALSO carry in some strapon steps. I don't understand why people think it is simple to chain up a hang on stand, while climbing up a tree, but is absolutely impossible to put a climber on above the first couple of branches. The climber gives you the versatility, and the option of not using the steps. I will often use steps and set up the climber on a "non-perfect" tree.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:13 PM

Thanks for all your replies. The park will allow some tree pruning for stands and pruning for shooting lanes. No pruning of any Oaks or Basswood saplings. The rules state " Be discreet."

This hunt should be interesting the area around the park reserve is open for gun season on Nov. 12 (1st day of bow hunt). I have a feeling it's gona be like a circus.

If you could prune some trees would your 1st choice be a climber?