HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Hang bow or keep in hand? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/74887-hang-bow-keep-hand.html)

wihunter402 10-05-2004 11:46 AM

Hang bow or keep in hand?

Another post has me wondering what everyone does. I can't believe that my son and I are the only ones to keep our bow in our hands while on stand. One person stated it was "unrealistic" to keep you bow in your hand and another stated that keeping it in your hand would cause more movement.

IMO keeping it in hand means no movement except to raise bow and draw. Hanging it would mean you have to reach over for it and then point it and draw. To me keeping it in hand and ready at all times minimizes you getting busted when the deer come in.

What do all of you do with your bow in stand?

Thanks for the input.

Rob/PA Bowyer 10-05-2004 11:49 AM

RE: Hang bow or keep in hand?

I always hang my bow. Usually it's above and in front of me so all I have to do is reach out and grab it. The same as raising your bow into position for the draw. But if that's not an option, I hang it somewhere. I hunt high and with the ASAT camo, grabbing my bow has never been an issue.

Stryker777 10-05-2004 11:51 AM

I keep my bow in my hand and the caliper on the loop. That way I dont make any accidental noise when getting ready for the shot. Im only out about 3 - 3 1/2 hours at a time and when I get back I shot at my target a little. Its never worn my arm out and I like being ready.
Stryker777

BobCo19-65 10-05-2004 11:52 AM

I usually will not hang it unless I have to get something out of my bag or pee or somethng. Most of the time I will lay it on my lap or hold it. I have a new bow holder that attaches to my calf that I plan on trying out this year also.

Double Creek 10-05-2004 11:57 AM

I hang it

Lefty26 10-05-2004 11:58 AM

I usually hang mine, like Rob/PA mine is in front of me and the movement to get it is very minimal, I have never sppoked a deer grabbing my bow. When the action is hot and heavy and deer are on the move, I sometimes will hold it with my release on the loop. My new bow only ways 2lbs so I have found myself holding this bow more than my old heavy bow.

shed33 10-05-2004 12:03 PM

in hand

adams 10-05-2004 12:05 PM

I keep my bow in hand except when I'm rattleing(then it's on my lap). The as soon as I finnish a sequence I hang my antlers and grab my bow again.

I have a new bow holder that attaches to my calf that I plan on trying out this year also.
After you try it out please post a review. I'd be curious to see how it works.

the animal 10-05-2004 12:08 PM

I use the EZ Hanger. Just like Rob my bow is in easy reach with just a little movement to pick it up. I have found out that I sit long and quieter, hands stay warmer, and arms don't get tired from holding the bow.

warmdaze 10-05-2004 12:11 PM

With bow in hand you have better chance of deer in freezer. However I do have a bow holder on my stand incase something more important needs to be in my hand.