Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting Powerlines >

Hunting Powerlines

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Powerlines

Old 10-07-2004, 10:49 AM

Default Hunting Powerlines

Any tips? Its really thick in between the power lines w/a high traffic trail. However, there are no good trees. Rather I might just hunt on the ground near a 25 yard diamter clearing underneathe the power lines in the thick stuff.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:55 AM

Default RE: Hunting Powerlines

IMO powerlines are a great "safe exit or escape route" for deer. I wouldn't hunt in the open, I'd hunt inside the woods near the lines. The open area should keep the deer in the woods but deer like to have the option of blowing across the powerlines in they are pressured. They work almost like a road. Scout a bit and find the travel lanes that parrel the powerlines and set up with the wind in your favor there. I think it'll be much more productive then actually hunting the powerline right of way.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:11 AM

I've only found one trail going straight up (and down) the powerlines in the middle of the thick stuff. I cannot find where they cross perpendicular (if at all).

At the bottom of the powerlines is a creek... at the top...forest.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:19 AM

The deer run right down the middle of them to the creek. Its not a trail...rather a freaking deer high way.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:52 AM

I was thinking along the edges of the powerlines(on edge of swamp and in the forrest).
Old 10-07-2004, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Speaking of powerlines, i hunt an area that has railroad tracks running through it. Along the railroad tracks also runs a telephone line. Is it legal to climb a telephone pole with a climbing stand?
Old 10-07-2004, 12:19 PM

Is it legal to climb a telephone pole with a climbing stand?
I'm not sure in your state but I beleve that would be trespassing here in Maine. Not to mention slightly dangerous.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:19 PM

Whats down by that creek ?? Can you give us the scenario as far as wind direction and in relation to the forest and powerlines and creek that runs through the area?? Whenever I hear the word creek I immediately start thinking about that as to where I'd start...depending on the wind...