Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How long have you gone without a deer? >

How long have you gone without a deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long have you gone without a deer?

Old 10-07-2004, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How long have you gone without a deer?

308 Days and counting!

Longest streak is probably about 2 years when I was first starting to hunt as a youngster!
Old 10-07-2004, 07:29 AM

I ain't seen a hair for going on three weeks now. Wonder where they all went????
Old 10-07-2004, 07:48 AM

4 straight hunts now, no deer. That is pushing the record for me. I usually atleast see a yearling, etc.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: deertale

ORIGINAL: wihunter402

9 days and 17 hours. I can't take it much longer. I NEED to get back to the woods.

I am in earn a buck so I got my doe on the 25th. I still might take another doe if I get a real good chance but for the most part it is buck hunting now. Don't feel bad about not getting one. Before this past one it had been about 5 years.[] Good luck tonight at the orchard. Let us know how you do.
GOT ONE! it wasn't the sweetest shot I've made but the deer is on the bag, just finished butchering it tonight. Two fawns and a doe finally came into the orchard at dusk (it was a windy night). They were munching and crunching away behind branches, so I steped up on my seat and let an arrow fly at a niced sized buck fawn (first buck I've ever shot). It feels great to finally score after a long dry spell. I feel good about shooting the fawn insted of the doe. Can't wait to get out again! All that hard work (and a little luck) finally paid off. I've got so much to be thankful for!

"I'd rather be lucky than good..."
CONGRATS Man. That is great. Now that the monkey is off you back you can relax and enjoy things even more. I'll bet he will be very tender.[8D]
Old 10-07-2004, 09:23 AM
Dominant Buck

I missed out in 1973 when I moved before our deer season started. Didn't have a place or time with the new job to find a place in the new state.

I was with a guy one time(my brothers friend) who had hunted 22 years and not shot a deer(gun hunter!!!!!) The day I hunted with him he got a doe. I was walking to him and jumped 5. They went right up and stopped broadside in some pines 40 yards from him. He put the scope behind the biggest does shoulder and yanked the trigger. Hit her right in the EYE... but he had his first deer.[&:] In his defense he didn't hunt a lot. Opening week Charlie was what he was. He had missed several though.[&:]
Old 10-07-2004, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am fortunate to be able to Bowhunt several states (usually) & I have gone 2 years without a Deer. By choice as I have been Bowhunting for a couple certain Deer at home & a respectable Buck when out of state. I am not a real trophy hunter but have taken many Deer over the years (Bow only-never gun hunted). I do have 2 antlerless tags this year as the herd needs thinning & I have not shot a Doe since probably 1980. I have had several Does (all with this years fawns) at 15 yds. or less & passed on them. I know the young would be fine, it is just a personal thing with me. I am sure I will fill the doe tags & plan on giving the meat to a couple needy families I know of. My single Buck tag is going on (I hope) one of the SPECIAL Bucks I have been playing tag with for a couple years. Lat year I passed on over 30 Does & 18 Different Bucks. I had one shot at a main frame 10 point (maybe 160). shot him for 30 yards & watched the arrow pass under his chest about 2". Thats Bowhunting. Don't get to worried about bagging a Deer-just enjoy being able to get out-it will all fall in place. good Luck to all this year.
Oh, I am Bowhunting public ground but have a eunique situation-small private ground bordering public that I can access putting me in an area most hunters never reach as it is soooo far from the parking areas.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Deertale,

I know where you're coming from.... Like Buck_Slayer and EOTN, this is my 3rd year and I STILL haven't gotten a deer. [&o] I had a teeny tiny doe come within 20-25 yards from me yesterday morning (took the day off to hunt), but I had to really wrestle with my options and ethics.... (Should I - shouldn't I?) I chose to let the yearling doe pass on by - in hopes a buck is nearby or an adult doe.

Anyway, I just keep on keepin' on, and learn more and more each time I'm out. People say you have to pay your dues, so that's how I look at it. I guess you just have to learn how to play the game right, before you are successful. That little tiny doe? Yeah, I kept silent and still. She didn't even know I was there. So, that tells me I am doing the right thing by not making noise or doing anything stupid.

I'll get my deer. The confidence is there. I just need the right opportunity.

Butch A.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:35 PM

Ahhh, 1 day