HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Mechanical Broadheads ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/74736-mechanical-broadheads.html)

phantombuck 10-04-2004 07:52 AM

Mechanical Broadheads ?

First, is it true that these broadheads will fly just like your field points? I've always heard this. Next, I have my bow set on 55 lbs, is this enough for the broadhead to work correctly when it hits the deer? I've always heard that if you don't shoot fast enough the mechanicals won't open like they should. Any help is greatly appreciated. CH

And any advice on which brands are the best
:D

Charlie P 10-04-2004 08:04 AM

RE: Mechanical Broadheads ?

It's more about the KE you are producing then the pounds you are pulling. The mech. broadheads use alot of penatration energy opening the blades.

Yes they will shoot close to your fieldpointsbut you stillneed to have youir bow properly tuned.

If I was you I'd look at the G5 montec or another cut on impact head.

ijimmy 10-04-2004 08:21 AM

The 100 grain head listed on the link below should work fine for lower pondage/ke setups . I have had geat sucess with these heads , used to be a fixed only archer until I saw how effective these heads are .

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...424&hasJS=true

Carwi 10-04-2004 09:04 AM

I would stick to fixed heads but I also prefer a fixed blade setup regardless what KE is produced. There are many new fixed blade options out there that are suppose to fly with your field tips regardless if your bow is tuned well or not. However, you owe it to yourself to tune your bow. Not only will you shoot better but your arows will hit straight and true allowing you to get max. penetration and accuracy. I suggest you give a strong look at the new Nitron, Crossfire, Slick Trick (very accurate!) and other short ferrule compact head designs. If you have your heart set on using a mechanical go with the Rocket Steelhead or Steelhead XP. Here is Rocket's website: http://www.rocketaerohead.com/. However, they recommend 50 or 55ft/lbs of KE I believe, to ensure that the blades will open. Their "Ultimate Steel" fixed blade is very good also and flies like with your field tips as well. I hear good things about the Vortex expandables as well. Whichever you chose you will have better chances of blade deployment if you keep your mechanical broadhead size to 1 1/4" or less (expanded blade diameter).

Sniper151 10-04-2004 01:17 PM

Phantom, Mechanicals were designed to match field point performance. But your concerns are valid. Mechanicals were introduced shortly after carbon arrows became popular for hunting. Archers would purchase the new mechanicals, Punchcutters, because the carbon arrow was so light that tuning was next to impossible with a heavy draw weight. To cover this many started shooting the mecanicals. If you look on an arrow chart, you will see a recommended arrow spline for the weight and draw length you shoot. You can increase in size and tune your setup. But if you drop one or two arrows lighter, the spline is to weak and arrow flight is erratic. This is what happened with the superlite carbons. Stay with the fixed broadhead and eliminate one more thing to go wrong.
Good Hunting....

WVCritter 10-04-2004 04:19 PM

My Wasp Jak-Hammers shoot right with my field tips and they are awesome. My bow is set for 65# and I shot 2 bucks last year and both fell within 50 yards and both were complete pass throughs. It was my first year for mechanicals and I'll never go back to fixed blades. even after using them for 26 years.

John Deer 10-04-2004 04:22 PM

I've got some Rocky Mountain Gator's in 100 grain. They shoot really well. Before you make a decision, you might take a look at those.

ijimmy 10-04-2004 05:12 PM

punchcutters , bad word , junk head , very bad head , thank goodness I think they quit makeing them . You do need to tune your bow no matter what head you shoot but I think youll have better penitration with the 1 1/2 inch cut vortex , than the slick trick which has over 2 inches of cut .

archeryantny 10-04-2004 08:06 PM

I just started using 100 grain Spitfires. I was hesitant at first but I got tired of trying to make my thunderheads fly straight. Lets just put it this way, I've had them for the past week and I've shot and killed 3 deer ( one buck, two does). There are devastating!!! I'm shooting a 70# Mathews Sq2 thats fully cranked. (approx 65lbs). Never had a problem with them not opening, but then again the two does were broad side and the buck was quartering away. I cant speak for how they would perform on shooting at deer at extreme angles. The spitfires got my vote!!

5 shot 10-05-2004 03:15 AM

Go to my website and read through the bow tuning and mech vs fixed pages. It will help you gain some insight into how to pick the right head for your setup.
www.broadheadtests.com