Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ASAT worked last night, the nimrod behind the bow didn't! >

ASAT worked last night, the nimrod behind the bow didn't!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ASAT worked last night, the nimrod behind the bow didn't!

Old 10-03-2004, 05:40 PM

Default ASAT worked last night, the nimrod behind the bow didn't!

Hey guys,

Heres the story.

I was in stand and I had a button buck comming from up-wind of me. I was about 18 feet up in a cherry tree and had great cover. Well, the button buck gets to about 8 yards and just looks right up at me, snorts, and runs out to about 15 yards. He stops, snorts again, then starts comming back towards me. He stopped at about 7 or 8 yards again and snorted, then ran back to about 15 yards again. He did this about 7 or 8 times before he finally gave up. He was acting very puzzled, like he knew something wasn't right, but he just didn't think it was a big threat. Well, he walked away and I glanced down at my bow just to see the my blue indiglo light on my site had be bumped on. The light was pretty much aimed right down at the little guy. It was a little dark out, actually, right before shooting light ended, and I am sure that the button buck picked up on that light.

Just a little tip, watch your light on your sights, it might cost you!
Old 10-04-2004, 07:38 AM

Default RE: ASAT didn't work last night!

Sooooooooooooo.......ASAT didn't work????? Huh?
Old 10-04-2004, 07:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Did you even read his story. I'd say ASAT worked to perfection. How many times do you have a deer come right back to within 7 or 8 yards that many times? I'd bet my suit that buck never saw Buck Magnet or at least with the make up of ASAT itself hadn't a clue that it was a human because the design breaks up the human form so perfectly. If you don't think a deer sees that light at 7 yards, your fooling yourself.

I read this as another ASAT success story. A deer at 7 yards keeps returning...jeeessshh, how many times do you want an animal that close...and he kept coming back.....the only problem I see is it's titled entirerly wrong...it should read, ASAT, another close encounter, and another, and another....poor judgement on the thread title.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:15 AM

Rob, I believe Solax is an ASAT wearer and believer, and was only being sarcastic.

To add another ASAT story to the piles of documentary, I was still hunting last night when I caught a glimpse of a deer's back over a little crest and saw that it was heading my way, with it's head down browsing. I couldn't see the head at the time, as it was below the crest, but I did know I was in the open, still a few yards short of the next piece of cover I was headed for. All I had was a few scraggly bushes that would offer little to no cover. I knelt as low as I could on one knee and got ready to shoot, just in case. A few moments later a little fork horn crested the rise 15 yards away and passed me at 5 yards, never knowing I was there. Last year I kept joking about wanting to 'bop a deer on the head' while wearing ASAT, and I thought I was gonna have my chance last night. I know I could have thrown my arrow at that little guy and hit him with it. It's just a matter of time til I touch a deer. If I do that, I'll care less if I harvest a deer that year.

BTW, for all ASAT wearers, I challenge you to get on the ground and do some ground hunting with it. It's a blast, if you've never tried it. Actually, that goes for any type of camo wearers. Ground hunting is a real thrill. Every encounter is a win or lose type of scenario. Either you moved slow enough and used the wind and scent control well enough to win, or you didn't and you lost. I like that type of scenario.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

BM why title the post like that?

It makes no sense! I agree with Rob, it DID work, YOU messed up by having YOUR light on NOT the ASAT. My nephew just harvested his second deer with the bow Saturday and the ASAT WAS the reason. He was not very high and the doe peg him but she just was not sure what was going on she gave him the old once, twice, three times over but STILL did not leave, He was able to draw the bow back and place a perfect shot. Hopefully I can get some pics on here of him and his deer.

That is just not a good idea the way you titled your thread JMHO
?????????
Old 10-04-2004, 08:27 AM

I have better luck on the ground, but i hunt in the thick stuff with a decoy. Shot a six point on the 21st @ 5yrds, big adrinal rush. Almost all the deer i have shot with a bow have been on the ground at close range. I have had several occassions where the deer have been spooked by something and just about run into me, that would probably hurt especially if they stepped on you.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:33 AM

Kidd642, This is just a little fun, but I think it is funny that your sig pic advertises ASAT and it looks like you're wearing Predator camo in the picture with your Pronghorn (nice pronghorn, BTW).
Old 10-04-2004, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Kidd642, This is just a little fun, but I think it is funny that your sig pic advertises ASAT and it looks like you're wearing Predator camo in the picture with your Pronghorn (nice pronghorn, BTW).
I thought it was Realtree hardwoods
I am one the same though my sig pic says Patriot but it is a MightyMite VFT in the pic
Old 10-04-2004, 10:30 AM

Hey guys,

The title was a little joke! I am glad some of you saw it that way!

Today the ASAT amazed me. I was heading back from my stand and I entered into a golden rod field. I stopped as I saw something that looked odd but I kinda blew it off. I decided to put my release on and nock a arrow anyways and as soon as I did, this "brown spot" popped up! It was a big old doe that had bedded down. She pegged me instantly! I stopped in my tracks and just stood there. She looked at me for about 5 minutes (at this time, she was at about 25 yards from me). Well, finally, she just puts her head down and starts browsing. I raise my bow and draw back on her and she put her head up again and took a step towards me. She was facing right at me! I was at full draw for several minutes while she stared me down but I couldn't hold it anymore, so I let down while she was watching me. I thought for sure she was gone, but she just stood there! Well, after a little while, she put her head down again and I drew back again. She lifted her head and started towards me again. She came in to right around 20 yards turned broadside and put her head down. Chip shot right? Well, I put my 20 yard pin on her and slowly squeezed the trigger. The arrow was on its way and then.... it hit a small sapling that I didn't even see and the arrow took a nose dive and went right under her. She hopped to the edge of the woods about 35 yards from me and stopped again and starred at me for another 5 or 10 minutes before she casually walked into the woods. I'd say that the ASAT more than proved itself today. Too bad I couldn't connect! I hate missing, but I would rather have missed than hit the sapling and made a bad shot. I guess she will just be out there for me at a later day!
Old 10-04-2004, 10:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: by23856

Rob, I believe Solax is an ASAT wearer and believer, and was only being sarcastic.

It's just a matter of time til I touch a deer. If I do that, I'll care less if I harvest a deer that year.
Gotcha! Thanks. And it also my goal to touch a wild whitetail while hunting and wearing ASAT I believe one day I'll do it.

Quick Reply: ASAT worked last night, the nimrod behind the bow didn't!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.