Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how to bring buck into the woods...? >

how to bring buck into the woods...?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how to bring buck into the woods...?

Old 10-03-2004, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default how to bring buck into the woods...?

I had a nice 8 pointer move across the tree line which I was inside of. I'm at a major funnel but he went passed all my trails and was just going to walk the tree line (or so it appeared). So I gave the can a turn and he stopped, turned around, and walked back towards the trails that lead to me. (This was all happening 20 yds away but it was through enough brush that I couldn't shoot.) Then he walks past the trails again. Since I'm in a funnel or corner, it appeared that he might of wanted to keep on the tree line and walk up behind me. This wasn't ideal so I gave the can another turn. I think this might have been my mistake. He stopped behind a lot of brush (couldn't even see him). And was there for quite a while and then he just TOOK OFF after standing there for 2-3 minutes. Wind was in my favor, he couldn't have seen me through the brush.

My question is how can I get him in the trees if I see him on the tree line outside again? I can't bait... maybe a pee soacked cotton thingy?
Old 10-03-2004, 12:20 PM

Default RE: how to bring buck into the woods...?

I have been in similar situations myself more than once. You could try a scent drag circling your stand and ending in front of you. Or maybe evening a decoy would help. But in the end, bucks go where they want to go anyway. Who knows why they do some of the things they do?! Good luck getting into range!!
Old 10-03-2004, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

exciting yet frustrating~! This would be my first kill ever, not to mention a good buck. I thought about the scent drag and planned a trip to walmart for the cotton.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

Why can't you relocate the stand ?It is alot of work but it is easier to go to him,then to make him come to you.Bucks like to travel along edges.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doe Decoy
Old 10-03-2004, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

I can't take the stand to the edge because ALL (i mean that literally, ALL) the trees are un-climbable! I'm in some THICK NASTY STUFF and so I'm on one of the only climbable trees around. It's so thick that I'd have to ruin a day's hunting to even switch to another tree INSIDE the tree line [:@]

sounds like pee is my only option due to econimics
Old 10-03-2004, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

Hunt the ground then
Old 10-03-2004, 07:47 PM

try a ground blind
Old 10-04-2004, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

The difference between an alright stand and a great stand is usually only a matter of 30-50yards.I would spend a day and move closer to the action or you may spend many more days this season watching deer pass out of your range.jmho.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

When he stopped the second time and stood there for about 2 or 3 minutes, I think you should have used the can 1 or 2 more times. When he stopped he was probably trying to locate the sound and waiting for it again. When you didn't do it again, he lost interest and carried on with what he was doing. I believe if you stop a deer with a call, then he is interested and is trying to locate where the sound is coming from so he can come and investigate. Just my opinion, it may be totally off the wall. The scent drag is also a good idea, it definately wouldn't hurt anything. Good luck on getting him!!

Quick Reply: how to bring buck into the woods...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.