HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Hit a Buck. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/74623-hit-buck.html)

dgdukefan 10-02-2004 05:22 PM

Hit a Buck.

I hit a nice 8 point tonight, at first i thought i may have shot over his back but when i recovered my arrow there was hair, meat, and a minimal amount of blood. The shot was perfect for left and right, but like i said it was high. I watched the deer run off for about 150 yards, his tail was down the whole time. He was running hard, but he was crashing into where ever he could go. I've seen deer do this that are about die that just go where ever they can. My question is do you think the shot could be fatal or not ? I really don't have a good feeling about it, I just got out of the area and am going to go look first thing in the morning. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

dgdukefan 10-02-2004 05:24 PM

RE: Hit a Buck.

I forgot to mention that i know i didn't just graze his back because there is blood on all 3 flechings. When i say blood i mean just a little bit.

Deer902 10-02-2004 05:33 PM

Its good you backed out. You'll know more tomorrow when you pick up the blood trail. Might be a meat shot from above the spine. The deer should live if that is the case. Good luck and keep us posted.

NJ/PAbwhunter 10-02-2004 05:38 PM

I bet if you get out there early tomorrow morning and resume your search you will find him. Sometimes even a good hit will not produce huge amounts of blood. The thing that makes me think you have a good chance to find him is the fact you said he was crashing into things and running hard. sounds like a death run to me.
Good luck

Tree climber 10-02-2004 05:43 PM

good luck on the search ; above all don't give up till you are sure he is OK.my wife made a shot like that last year,she hit just below the spine.we waite and I took my blood dog and trasiled him for amost 2 mile befor I gave up.at the last I was finding just a drop of blood every 50 to 100 yards.we looked for a couple of days and never did see any buzzards in the area where we last left him.[&o]
I beleve he made it.

Carwi 10-02-2004 06:01 PM

I agree with Deer902. You did the right thing not to push that deer. Look for him in the morning. It's hard to say how well you hit him. There have been times I thought I made marginal shots but found the deer within 50-60yds, it hard to say. Good luck and hopefully you'll find him.

CLOUD 9, MN 10-02-2004 06:32 PM

Good move backing out. Now you just need to good tracking execution. If he's not dead by morning, you probably won't find him. By not pushing he'll bed down and bleed to not far away!

good Luck in the morning!

Jollyarcher 10-02-2004 08:48 PM

Ditto - very good move on your part. I'd check hard for more sign in the morning. From the sounds of the evidence on your arrow, it may have zipped through the dreaded no-go zone. That's the evil little space between the spine and the upper most section of the rib cage that doesn't lead into the chest cavity. If that's the case, it's zipped through the loin and is not likely to be a fatal hit. Sadly, I have done this and was unable to recover the animal. The good news is that the deer will survive with little complications, if any at all. Good luck, I do hope you get 'em!

huntingheck69 10-02-2004 08:58 PM

I am sure that you will find him in the morning don't forget to post pics,and congrats on the hunt

MILLERTIME10 10-02-2004 10:06 PM

Hope you find him, just remember it may take a little while for you to pick up a blood trail b/c the hit was so high.