Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hit a Buck.

Old 10-05-2004, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hit a Buck.

Deer beding and resting up = coagulation = less blood loss.
This is very true. However, if the wound is minor enough that resting will prevent the deer from bleeding out, this deer will be able to cover a lot of territory if pushed. It may also leave a very spotty blood trail. I would get on it with a rifle, but not a bow. I would let him bed down and hopefully bleed out. If he’s able to run, you’ll chase all over the country side before he expires or lets you within bow range. These are very tough decisions and it really depends on where he’s hit. I’ve found deer where I was 100% sure I hit it one place and the hole was somewhere completely different. A muscle wound is a tough one for a bow hunter. If you hit a major vessel, he will bleed out in time. If not, he’s probably going to recover.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:18 AM

Uh-oh Bobco a consenus has been reached.. Guess your gonzo
IME if it's a non lethal hit no matter how far you push them they won't bleed out. It may be possible but I've never seen it happen.

If you're unsure of where you hit the animal IMO it's best to back out. If you caught a liver the last thing you want to do is push the animal.

Bobco, I respect your opinion. You're not gonzo you';ve just got a diffrent perspective then I
Old 10-05-2004, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Barnes, I'm confused with your post. And I'd like to converse a bit more.

I would get on it with a rifle, but not a bow.
Why? Do deer bleed better with bullet?

If he’s able to run, you’ll chase all over the country side before he expires or lets you within bow range.
So what?

I would let him bed down and hopefully bleed out.
You'd rather hope then go after him? You already stated that:

Deer beding and resting up = coagulation = less blood loss.

This is very true.
However, if the wound is minor enough that resting will prevent the deer from bleeding out
Have you actually ever seen the capibilities of a wild animals ability to form blood coagulations? It is nothing like a human. I work with a tracking dog and as such have to keep a fresh inventory of blood for training purposes. The capilitiy is amazing, I can gather up two quarts of fresh blood and will not make it back to the house within an hour and the entire batch is totally coagulated (I have to break it down with a blender when I get back home). What I am saying is that you would be surpised what type of wound can coagulate. It doesn't have to be minor.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you're unsure of where you hit the animal IMO it's best to back out.
I'm in consensus with ya Adams!!!!
Old 10-05-2004, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why? Do deer bleed better with bullet?
It’s not that they bleed more with a bullet (although a mushroomed bullet traveling at 3000fps can cause quite a wound channel). The reason I say get on it with the rifle is because you have a better chance of ending the game with the rifle. If you kick the deer up, you can take a running shot with the rifle and put it down (not with a bow). If you see it 50 or more yards away, you can put a bullet in the vitals without trying to walk up on it. You just have more possibilities with a rifle.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:25 AM

Did you find it?
Old 10-06-2004, 10:14 AM

What's the word? Did you find it?

Everyone always posts for assistance but seldom to I see the circle closed. We're all pulling for you and want to know what happened.

This is like watching a movie and not being able to see the end.