HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How do you stand in your treestand? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/74599-how-do-you-stand-your-treestand.html)

thomasr 10-02-2004 11:16 AM

How do you stand in your treestand?

So how do most of you actually stand in your treestand? With your back to the tree looking out, or facing the tree and looking around it. I see some real merit to facing the tree, breaking up your outline and all, but I also see how it can really limit your field of shooting and makes for kind of an awkward shooting position. So how do you experts do it?
REX

Kanga 10-02-2004 11:46 AM

RE: How do you stand in your treestand?

With my back to the tree.

OHBowhunter 10-02-2004 11:56 AM

I sit my butt on the seat.

M.T. 10-02-2004 11:56 AM

Back to the tree here also, Trust your camo.

Stryker777 10-02-2004 12:17 PM

I dont normally hunt in a stand, but when I do, my backs to the tree. Here is my reasoning that may not be correct in all situations.
1) I want a wider range of shooting because my stands are facing heavy traveled paths or entry points to a bedding ground.
2) If my back is too the tree and my camo is correct for the area, my outline is broken up enough that I should fade into the tree and background.
3) I can see the edge of my stand and dont have to bend around something for a shot so I dont accidentally fall off.
4) There is less of a chance of having to rub against something or move as much for the shot.

I see merit in facing the tree, but for me it doesnt seem as safe and it would decrease my odds of seeing game.
Stryker777

thomasr 10-02-2004 12:27 PM

Thanks to all for confirming my approach. I've been hunting from a treestand for years but always had my back to the tree and faced outward. Next week I'll be hunting with a friend of mine for the first time and his approach is to face the tree and look around it, and he's adament that this is a better way. I can even see some more benefit with a rifle (steadying yourself with the trunk) but with a bow I can see it getting even more in the way. Not to mention, I could see me falling out rather easily. Oh well...to each his own.
REX

birdhunter1 10-03-2004 09:53 AM

I have my stand facing the feeder.
I stand with my back to the tree.
I have been known when using my summit climber on national forest to stand and look behind the tree since that is the thickest part of where I hunt.
But put me down for a back to the tree kinda guy 90% of the time.

jerseyhunter 10-03-2004 03:33 PM

It all depends which way the tree is leaning (growing). My stand is always placed so that while I,m sitting my back is in a reclined and comfortable possition. It doesn't matter where the deer will approach from as I can't dictate which way the tree leans. While standing I face the trails, some are in front of the stand and some I have the tree between us. I have a green canvas tarp I drape in front of the stand to conceal movement , and I haul up branches to conceal the sides. It doesn't matter which way you face, just don't move or blink when the quarry is looking at you. Also if you steady your gun against the tree, place your backhand against the tree between it and the gun. Also if using an auto-loader make sure the shell has room to eject.:D Learned that one the hard way.[&o]

Fieldmouse 10-03-2004 05:48 PM

Very carefully. I like my back to the tree facing away from where the deer will come from. I prefer a fork up at 35', a big branch also works, I'll do both. I like standing facing the tree watching the deer come out of woods or field. I'm not taking a shot in this position, I just like to see where the herd is moving.

Fieldmouse 10-03-2004 05:49 PM

Very carefully. I like my back to the tree facing away from where the deer will come from. I prefer a fork up at 35', a big branch also works, I'll do both. I like standing facing the tree watching the deer come out of woods or field. I'm not taking a shot in this position, I just like to see where the herd is moving.