HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Forget the wind, just hunt! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/74583-forget-wind-just-hunt.html)

tealboy 10-02-2004 06:28 AM

Forget the wind, just hunt!

I am so aggravated with the wind. Is this a Florida thing or does everyone restle with the same problem? I am very careful about hunting the wind but it seems to swirl so bad, I can't avoid it. Yesterday, I hunted a spot that was suitable for an east wind b/c my scent was getting blown into an open field behind me. I expected deer to approach to my left or in front. The east wind would work well.

When i got there, the wind was from the east but would frequently give me a blast from the SE, which wasn't great since it would blow my scent toward my left (one of the anticipated travel patterns). It then started blowing from the south, which was even worse. Later, it became WSW, blowing my scent in front of me, where i expect to see deer. I even had a few blasts from the NE, which wasn't really a problem, but the point is, I try to hunt the wind but the wind doesn't cooperate. All of this shifting occurred between 5:30 and 7:30pm (2 hours).

Scent control doesn't work too well b/c the florida heat is bad this time of year, so a short walk to your stand and you are very sweaty. Anyway, one of the SE gusts blew out a decent 8 point that was approaching. I saw him (and he smelled me) at 130 yds.

Howler 10-02-2004 09:48 AM

RE: Forget the wind, just hunt!

It's not a problem only in Florida, try to bow hunt elk in the Rocky Mtns. some time, the wind is never consistant for very long.
The best you can do is try to play the wind, but also do your best to prevent excessive sweating by moving slower to your stand and take some of your favorite scent killer spray to the stand with you and spray down once you have reached your stand and cooled down. Spray all of your equipment, stand, everything.
Good Luck.

rangerstud620 10-02-2004 02:51 PM

I have the same problem. I hunt in a river bottom that is heavily wooded. The wind constantly swirls. If it's blowing one direction where I am, I have no clue what direction it is blowing 50 yds down wind of me. It makes it extremely difficult to see good bucks because they can show up from anywhere at anytime. Every now and again the wind blows a constant direction, but not often enough. Those are the days I always hope for.

rybohunter 10-02-2004 07:57 PM

I should have done that today. Skipped out hunting a spot cause the wind was wrong. Ended up a big buck went walking into the woods where i was to have been. My dad was watching from across the field edge.

Stryker777 10-02-2004 08:03 PM

If the wind is bad, I stay out of stands and find a good brushy area. Theres a weed out here that puts off a very minty smell and I sit in the middle of it. Never been winded doing that no matter how the wind was blowing.
Stryker777

Jack Ryan 10-02-2004 08:06 PM

When the wind is bad I climb higher.

Sometimes all you can do is just write off half the opportunity and turn to watch where the wind is coming from.

They can't just change the direction they want to go every time the wind changes either.

tealboy 10-03-2004 03:51 PM

It happened again today. Busted by a bad wind. I had a 4 point in front of me and when he started heading for his bed, I watched him with my binocs to see where he was going. In the far background, I saw a flash about 400-500 yds away. Looking intently, I noticed it was two bucks chasing a doe. One buck was a shooter. The doe started working my way and the buck was chasing her. When they got 125 yds behind me, they both put their noses in the air and became concerned. My wind was blowing right toward them at this point. Earlier, the wind was blowing complete opposite and i would have been fine, but 5 minutes and it had switched. Anyway, she continued to cautiously and slowly come in but he took off.

The good news is, I know where they are living so i am going to back into them, especially since i have been busted and the buck will likely be cautious at this stand location.

Jack Ryan 10-03-2004 03:59 PM

If the wind is bad and giving you fits, it might be a good time to try some scent tricks. If you are getting busted any way you've got nothing to loose.

I like those little spritzer kind of spray bottles some of them come in just for this reason. You can watch to see what they are doing and then only use the scent at a specific time and in it's most potent form. If one is "stuck" to far away and down wind. A time when it's almost hopeless, a grunt or bleet call, and a puff of doe in heat may be just the ticket to turn a bad situation in to a good one.

ShadowAce 10-03-2004 04:02 PM

Very rarely does the wind ever blow in the saemd irection here in KY also. It's very frustrating. You just have to plan on which way it's blowing the most.