Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I wonder.............. >

I wonder..............

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I wonder..............

Old 10-01-2004, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I wonder..............

Right now eveyone is all smiles and hugs when someone posts one of those "well I wounded one threads". However, every year there comes a point after several of these threads have been posted, where people get sick of reading it and start blasting the posters. It seems like we're off at a pretty good pace this year so I wonder how long it will be before people get sick of these threads and start blasting the posters. It will happen. It always does. What will be particularly intersting is whether some of the guys that are all smiles and hugs now actually join in the bashing later. Some guys have sort of lashed out at the people that have taken a negative stance toward these type of posts. Will these same people jump in and bash a couple of posters later? I guess we'll find out in the coming months.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I wonder..............

I agree it shouldn't be too much longer.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:34 PM

"Let he who has never wounded a deer cast the first stone..."

From what I've been told it's an almost certainty that at some point in our lives this will happen. I find it odd that people have the mentality that it won't happen to them. There are far too many variables that are out of our hands. You may shoot 1" groups consistently and still have a deer flinch right before you shoot, hit a thin branch you can't see from 25 yards, have a fly land on your nose as you pull the release.... There's just too many things that can happen to really blame someone for this I think.
Now, on the reverse side, taking shots from 45 - 50 yards with a #50 bow, that's inexcusable. Shooting through bushes cause you see something moving, there is alot that we can control too. Let's just hope we use our common sense out there.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Let he who has never wounded a deer cast the first stone..."
That is a valid point. However, the point can be made that just because it happens doesn't mean you should go plastering it on an internet message board that is read by thousands. Obviously, several of these type of threads start to paint a negative picture and offers ammo for those that could come looking for it to use as propaganda for the non-hunting public. I am merely offering a different perspective as to why people lash out toward these type of threads.

From what I've been told it's an almost certainty that at some point in our lives this will happen. I find it odd that people have the mentality that it won't happen to them. There are far too many variables that are out of our hands. You may shoot 1" groups consistently and still have a deer flinch right before you shoot, hit a thin branch you can't see from 25 yards, have a fly land on your nose as you pull the release.... There's just too many things that can happen to really blame someone for this I think.
Now, on the reverse side, taking shots from 45 - 50 yards with a #50 bow, that's inexcusable. Shooting through bushes cause you see something moving, there is alot that we can control too. Let's just hope we use our common sense out there.
I am not going say that you are right or wrong but if the past repeats itself, it is going to happen.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:49 PM

After reading X amount of those types of posts in the past few years I have learned some things off of them, but generally "good" tips are far and few between. I think guys like to post just to post and to see their name on the board. Maybe not, but my opinion I guess. Bad shots happen to everyone. It's hunting. There are far too many variables that go into making a shot and downing an animal for it NOT happen to everyone. It may not happen to some...but very, very few. I thank my lucky stars to this point that I haven't made a bad shot, but I'm sure it will happen sometime. One thing I know for sure.....if I do, this site will be the last thing I will think about writing my misfortunes on.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

If someone is honestly asking for advice..it could benefit the individual in his earch efforts.

But by now most board veterans have read enough of these threads to know what to do (if they didn't before).

But I do agree that posting everyday about "I gut shot a deer" can make us, as a group, look bad.
We almost need a sticky thread at the page top.

Title (wounded deer ..what to do) and let the Vets post a consensus of proper recovery techniques.

I have typed poor responses only to delete and type a more supportive reply. But patience will indeed grow short.
I am not saying in no way, that it can't happen to me, or you, or Bill Jordan, but we don't have to have 2 out of every 20 posts about it.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I think in some circumstances there are those that deserve to be blasted, and need a wakeup call. But most circumstances not.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do start getting bitter towards such threads but only because there is already a thread sticky'd on the top of this forum with all the info someone would need. http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=355101
Old 10-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

We almost need a sticky thread at the page top.

Title (wounded deer ..what to do) and let the Vets post a consensus of proper recovery techniques
There is one called recovery that is "stuck" at the top.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

If a guy is posting to get info to help him find a wounded deer it belongs on this site.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.