Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Field dressing

Old 10-01-2004, 10:18 AM

Default RE: Field dressing

Thanks for the comments to my reply post. I appreciate the advice. I bought an all season license here in Minnesota and can take two deer so I will take the first thing I see - at least for my first deer ever. In any case, I will bow out now as I don't want to hijack this post and deviate too much from the original topic.

Here is another web site I found with pics and advice on how to field dress:

http://www.huntingnut.com/faq/fieldd...ielddress.html
Old 10-01-2004, 02:44 PM

I guess I had a couple more quick questions. First, I've seen two ways of making the body opening cut - from the pelvic area to the breast or from the breast down to the pelvic area. Are there advantages to either? Finally, the advice I've seen says if its a doe, cut around the anus and genital area to pull out through the body cavity. But for Bucks, the advice is confusing. Some sites say to just lop off the penis while others say to separate it, but not cut it off completely? Any advice. Again, what to do downstairs seems to perplex me the most.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:32 PM

Chucker - I don't think either way - top to bottom or bottom to top is either right or wrong, but I do it from bottom to top - it makes it easier to get through the ribcage. I also go further up the neck than most guys do - there's not a lot of meat there, and what is there usually ends up getting ground anyway. The reason I do this is so that I don't have to reach up into the neck to get the windpipe/troat out.

As far as what to do in the crotch, well, that depends. Some states require evidence of sex to remain intact - which means the "package" stays on. That's the way it is in NY where I grew up, and I just got so used to doing it that way that I still do it even though it's not required in NC.

What I do is cut along side of the scrotum and penis and pull it aside. If you're going to do this (leave his manhood on) you should do it FIRST - especially since this will be your first deer. That way, if you accidentally cut through the little pee tubes going from the bladder to the penis, you won't get wee-wee all over the meat. Then gut as discussed. (I started a link about field dressing and butchering, in it is a link to Canuck's website and he has a pretty decent tutorial on how to field dress).

If you can, watch one of your hunting buddies gut his deer. When you do yours, PAY CLOSE ATTENTION - look at where everything is - parts is part - they're the same on the inside on all deer.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:56 PM

Double post sorry.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:01 PM

ORIGINAL: zak123

ORIGINAL: Badatta2d

I am new to hunting
That's alot of posts for someone new?? Do you post everytime you see an ant???
More than that now! No I don't post whenever I see an ant. I stick to beetles.

I don't want to hijack this post and deviate too much from the original topic.
The topic is about field dressing and that is what your posting about. Post away. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:17 PM

one of the best peices of advice that i can give is to get a knife with a gut hook, not that gu.. errr field dresing is difficult but the gut hook makes it that much easier, there is much less of a chance of slicing through things that should be cut open.