Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 2 Way Radio's....What's your preference? >

2 Way Radio's....What's your preference?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2 Way Radio's....What's your preference?

Old 09-30-2004, 09:59 AM

Default 2 Way Radio's....What's your preference?

Just curious as to what peoples preferences are for 2 way radios? Going to get a pair here soon, and was interested in what everyone thought was the best and most economical? Thanks in advance...Van
Old 09-30-2004, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 2 Way Radio's....What's your preference?

so which do you perfer best or most economical?
For cheapies I like the Motorola line. But I wish I could get my hunting partners to buy the Rhino (Garmin or Magellan I forget which)with the built in GPS. This way you can see the location of everyone in your hunt party.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

Motorola is not a bad radio comes in clear only problem is i dont think any of them come with a headphone jack, i have 3 diferent talkabout's and none have a headphone jack. That is why i wouldnt recommend them, headphone jack is the way to go. Just my opinion.

Rich
Old 09-30-2004, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

My motorolas all have headphone jacks.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

mbruiser187 - Do you have older models? I have 2 different Motorola's and both models have the head phone jacks. You can also use the mic/headphone attachment with them. I also know that Cabelas right now has several Motorola's and some even come with the ear bud. I have had good luck with them. We really only use them for safety. We radio each other before we climb and then again after we get tied into the tree. Same thing before we climb down.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:23 AM

I just have 2 of the uniden frs 8 mile radios. I give one to the wife or daughter before I leave out hunting, and put in the hands free set so I can hear them or talk to them if needed. They are very handy and the battery lasts all day if Im not transmitting alot. Its not a pro set lol, but it has water proof covers, hands free earbub/mic sets, base charger, and mobile charger. Very handy for $50. Great for an emergency in the woods too.
Stryker777
Old 09-30-2004, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

My brother and I use a pair of Motorolas with a 5 mile range. Even though we sit only 1 1/4 miles apart, they don't work for us because we are not "line of sight" apparently.
Brian
Old 09-30-2004, 12:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have owned quite a few of the FRS and GMRS consumer grade radios in recent years. In my opinion, the Motorola models generally give you more for your money and are more durable over all than the others that I have tried.

Some things about FRS/GMRS radios though....

1. Don't believe the distance claims. They are made under "ideal conditions" meaning flat ground with no obstructions between the units. If you hunt in hilly terrain or are going to use it inside a truck, etc.. then expect a significant decrease in transmitting distance

1a. Along that same line of thinking, FRS and GMRS radios do not significantly increase transmitting range because of power under less than ideal conditions. A 3 watt GMRS unit will not be significantly more powerful in terms of transmitting distance in comparison to a .5 watt FRS unit. This is directly the result of the type of radio frequency that both of these units utilize...UHF.

1b. The only ways to drastically increase range is to either move to an elevated location or get one of the GMRS units that allows you to remove the stock antenna and utilize a more efficient one. However, most FRS and GMRS units come with what is commonly referred to as a "rubber duck" antenna that is unremoveable.

My suggestion would be to find a decent 1 watt or . 5 watt unit that is about $50-$100 less than the latest 3 watt unit. Take a look at the various features offered. Here are a few I have found to be handy in different situations....

- earbud attachment for quiet contact between units

- a vibration feature to also allow quiet contact between units

- scan mode to listen for other hunters in the area

- Multiple channels so that you can always find one that is being unused

One more interesting tidbit, GMRS radio users are required by law to obtain a license from the FCC to operate these units. FRS radios do not require a license.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

i have a talkabout 5600, 5200, and cant find the other right now there is a jack on the side but i tried to put headphones, and the headphone mic combo, in the jack and the red light stays on as if if im talking the whole time.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a pair of motorola 5710s (or 20's, not sure). They are rechargeable, and came with push to talk/earbuds. I think I paid $40 for the pair. Have used them in the neighborhood, but not in the woods yet. Seem to work okay.

Quick Reply: 2 Way Radio's....What's your preference?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.