Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 2 Way Radio's....What's your preference? >

2 Way Radio's....What's your preference?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2 Way Radio's....What's your preference?

Old 09-30-2004, 01:22 PM

Default RE: 2 Way Radio's....What's your preference?

I just bought a set by Cobra. $50

Came with charging stand, rechargable batteries, ear jacks and 5 mile range. Has the silent features and privacy codes, as well as scanning ability.

So far so good. Haven't tried the ear peices yet.

What I really want is the Rhino with built in GPS. Would be great for fishing, ice fishing, as well.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:39 PM

I have a set of motorola and they work fantastic in the woods an ear bud is absolutey necessary and when hunting with a partner its good to have communication.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:46 PM

I agree PA. I have the scan feature and all too. My range is supposed to be 8 miles but my effective range in my area (hills and rocks, thick woods) is about 2 miles. Thats quite a bit of range out here. Its about as effective as a unmodified mobile cb. About the wattage, I agree there is not much of a difference in effective range in bad terrain but for every time you double your stregnth you are getting around a 50% signal reinforcment meaning clearer for a longer range. A .5 watt can be heard but scratchy at .75 miles here. A 3 watt is clear at .75 miles and doesnt get scratchy till 1.5 or more. If you look at the signal being doubled twice that is about right for range. If it was a 6 watt it would be more effective up to 2 miles or so. These numbers are theoretical and really do still depend on your area but the range you get at one power level will only be increased by half if power is doubled. This also depends on the tuning of the radios lol. Its about as close as you can get though without in depth testing.
Stryker777
Old 09-30-2004, 02:47 PM

I just got a pair of Midland 10mi range. They come with the ear piece. I've played with them some, and have had good luck so far. Nice and clear with no static at all. They sure beat my 5mi range Motorolas.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

mbruizer you probably have the sensitivity to high and it is picking up your breathing.

i own motorolas and i think the are the best for the money. the are pretty durable too. they also arent that bad on the batteries.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:06 PM

Vibrate alert is the most important feature for me. When hunting , I don't want to hear anything but footsteps.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

I would not recommend any of the "talkabout" style radios. Simply get a handheld marine radio. At 5 watts, you will get much longer communication and can pick them up for about $100.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, cell phones with vibrating alert. But then again we don't talk a whole lot either. Just very important times is all.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:23 PM

I have a set of radios. It keeps me and by bro busy all day!! so i dont get bored and stuff! They are also great for tracking deer when you get split up. I have one story were they absolutely saved my a$$.

I was tracking a deer i had shot just before sundown. I made a great shot on him and got all excited so i gave him about 45 minutes. We went in to look for him and pushed him. He was lossing a mass amount of blood. Oh it is me and my bro who went in to look for him by the way. My friend stayed at the truck. Anyway, we ended up tracking him about 300 yards before he finally gave up and layed for good. The blood trail was easy to follow but we lost it somehow on the way back. We couldnt find the same spot we crossed the crick and we had no idea where we were at. It was good thing for the radios b/c my friend at the truck had his on and he directed us back by turning on the trucks head lights. We were pretty scared at first because it was the first time we actually considered ourselves "lost." It was really a great experience.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:19 AM

me and my dad just bought the new rhino gps that are 2 way radios as well. They are great but very expensive. At 169 bucks a piece

Quick Reply: 2 Way Radio's....What's your preference?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.