HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Anyone a one-pin shooter? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/74373-anyone-one-pin-shooter.html)

BarnesX.308 09-30-2004 07:33 AM

Anyone a one-pin shooter?

For many years now, I have only used one site pin. It is set for dead-on at 25 yards and I practice at ranges from 15-30. I generally won’t shoot much past 25 yards so the difference in impact at 30 yards is not really an issue even though I do practice at that range and know where to hold. I just find that simple is better for hunting. Does anyone else shoot this way?

Katbones 09-30-2004 07:37 AM

RE: Anyone a one-pin shooter?

:) I love to shoot this way too,less worry about pins busting and i also set mine at 25 yards.Really keeps it simple and accurate.
Good luck to you this season.

Bowtech9 09-30-2004 07:45 AM

one pin , better sight picture, nothing in the way to clutter the sight picture on the animal but the one pin center on the vitals.

Straightarrow 09-30-2004 08:50 AM

I also use one pin - set at 22 yards, which is the furthest I've ever shot at a whitetail.

Fieldmouse 09-30-2004 08:57 AM

I use a red dot scope so it's 1 dot. I'm now convinced it's the way to go.

jsasker 09-30-2004 09:05 AM

I switched to 1 pin after a bad experience with a multiple pin sight and i think i'm gonna stay with one pin.It sure does simplify things when you gotta make a quick shot while fighting the ole buck fever.

buckwild224 09-30-2004 09:24 AM

i shoot one pin as well set at 23 which is about as far a shot as i'll get from my stand, it makes it much less complicated as you dont have to judge distances and try to choose a pin to use.

Carwi 09-30-2004 11:02 AM

For years I hunted with a 3 pin setup and last January after the season I decided that i really only need one pin, so I purchased a Cobra Easy Slide Extreme. It's a moveable sight. I have markings set for 20yds all the way up to 80yds in 10yd increments. I lock it down between the 20yd and 30yd markings for hunting and I am convinced this is a better way. I have a better sight picture, I'm more accurate, and I just plain like it! Also, If I see a buck at 45-60yds and there is no wind and obstruction then I can quietly move the setting to what I need quickly and shoot! However, if you don't like the moveable sights available out there you can do very well by removing all your pins except one and sight it in for 20 or 25yds (whichever you prefer) and hit deer sized game vitals easily up to 30yds with no problem. Good luck!

thenuge15 09-30-2004 12:57 PM

I shoot one pin also. It's less to think about during the moment of truth!!! 24hrs to go until I can hunt!!!!!!

RIStrutStopper 09-30-2004 01:16 PM

I shoot 1 pin too. I have markings for 20, 30, and 40 yards to adjust it too, but typically leave it set at 20. I know how high to hold to shoot up to 30 yards when its set at 20. Funny thing, which was a lesson to remind me to always check my gear, also gave me a little confidence on small blunders regarding the sight setting/distance judging. I took an archery proficiency exam which is necessary to hunt certain areas in RI. Its an easy test, you need to get 3 out of 5 broadhead tipped arrows in the vitals of a deer silhouet (sp?) at 20 yards. I had done some messing with my rest since the last time I tuned my bow with broadheads, and didnt have time to retune before the test, so I figured I'd just cross my fingers and hope for the best (dont really need the test anyway for where I hunt, just wanted to keep options open.) Well, I get up to the line and shoot, and cant believe how high I'm hitting compared to where I aimed. I grouped 4 arrows pretty high, and thought, wow, I really need to tune my bow for these broadheads. I overcompensated and sent one arrow pretty low on the last shot. Well, turns out I'm so used to shooting at 20 yards, I forgot that the last time I shot I left my sight set at 30! guess thats the equivalent of using the 30 yard pin for a 20 yard shot. Anyway, the 4 arrows that I grouped still hit the vitals. Lets me know that my bow is flat shooting enough to allow for some errors in judging distance.