HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Who bowhunt's using a rangefinder? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/74325-who-bowhunts-using-rangefinder.html)

drstalker 09-29-2004 08:54 PM

Who bowhunt's using a rangefinder?

How many of you use on e.I am thinking about getting one,and wonder how you all feel about them?Do you find them a over priced gimmick,or a usefull tool.Ive been wanting one for a long time now and am somewhat of a gadget man:DThank's fror any replies.Bill D>

Matt / PA 09-29-2004 09:01 PM

RE: Who bowhunt's using a rangefinder?

Absolutely 100% a useful tool for bowhunting.......

I'll tell ya, I'm pretty darn good at judging yardage on the ground, but sometimes when I get 20' in a tree I just look at a landmark and can't figure out how far it is????? Things just look different in a stand......so what I do first is practice what I THINK the yardage is to landmarks, then I zip them quick with the rangefinder. Keeps me sharp and gives me concrete references.

I create a 30 yard "Circle of Death";) with my rangefinder, then find a few 20's for further reference and sort of form a mental "Bullseye" on the ground with me in the center.........when a deer passes this tree/line he's under 30.........when he reaches this tree he's 20 and so on.
Not being sure of yardages is something I don't want to add to my list of concerns while hunting.
Just like in Golf, if you are unsure of yardage or club selection your in big trouble. If you can pick the right club and know the yardage you can aim small, miss small with confidence.

springer01 09-29-2004 09:14 PM

I agree they are a great tool. And not only for bowhunting, I find many uses for mine... they are great!!

JeramyK 09-29-2004 09:16 PM

I hunted for years without a rangefinder and now I'd go crazy without it. :)

Carwi 09-29-2004 09:21 PM

I think it's a useful tool as well. It has definitely helped my bowhunting. I am soso when it comes to judging distance I got along fine for years without one but now it is so much easier now. I feel it could become a serious crutch though!!:eek:

MILLERTIME10 09-29-2004 09:23 PM

A very useful tool, and also can help pass some time on those all day hunts. I would make sure to get a quality and compact rangefinder. I have the Nikon Laser 440 and love it. I feel almost naked when I don't have it with me on stand.

silbowhunter 09-29-2004 09:26 PM

I'm with matt/pa and the others been using one for the last 2 years.
If you do get one make sure it is able to messure down to 5yards or so, some don't get any closer than 40yards or more.

silbowhunter

HAZCON7 09-29-2004 11:18 PM

Walmart just recently put a rangefinder on clearance for $5 and I swiped it up QUICK. I'd been eyeballing this model for 2 years waiting for the price to come down enough. It started at $75 and was last at $45 - before the clearance. Call me cheap but I've spent enough money on bowhunting to last a lifetime so I don't necessarily need the latest "gimmick"

Since I've started ranging (my targets) I found the rangefinder to be a very handy tool and definately adds more precision to my practice routine. For example I hit a 1/2" square piece of tape I put on my block target, from a treestand 20 feet up at 33 yards into a strong crosswind with a broadhead. Without that range finder I would surely have over or underestimated the distance. Probably would have only been off an inch or two but it is a great feeling to hit the exact spot you're aiming at!

This one is kind of a cheap no frills rangefinder but after calibrating it it seems pretty accurate. Can't wait to try it out in the field.

Trashman 09-30-2004 12:20 AM

I find them very useful.

setting up the range

in the woods I use them the first few times to get distances, and if it's that time of season, I'll just put some scent bombs close to those trees that I know the range of.

on a field, I can't tell squat for distances, the fields I hand at are huge, so they are very handy. My brother actually uses them on deer when he's hunting on the field. I mean at 30-35 yards! I could never do that, I'd be to worried about getting busted.

At home, I'll go out on the top deck, to simulate the stand the best I can, and use it to help judge distances (kids are great for running around and helping without knowing it)

plus, they are just plain cool!

royak 09-30-2004 04:43 AM

I have been using a rangefinder for years I bought one of the first one ever made then when they made the lazer I got one and I would not be without mine. It does help to pass the time and gives me that little edge I need. I also use mine during muzzleloader season.