Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who bowhunt's using a rangefinder? >

Who bowhunt's using a rangefinder?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who bowhunt's using a rangefinder?

Old 09-30-2004, 05:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Who bowhunt's using a rangefinder?

I have one of the older models. It's not a laser one. I thought about building my own oneday just for fun. drstalker, I know mine is old but your welcome to it if you want to try it. Just PM. I didn't find it very useful. I've just made myself get better at judging my ten yrd increments. One thing I have found very helpful is my red dot scope. Not that it's a scope but it's one dot for everything. 10-15 yrds dead on. 20 - 25 remember you have a 4inch drop. 30 yrds, 8", 40 yrds 12". If I ever went back to pins I would only have 1 now. It really seems to be easier.

Good luck
Old 09-30-2004, 05:25 AM

Definitely a useful tool when bow hunting!
Old 09-30-2004, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

I use the bushnell sport... lazer , i love it and would be lost without it up my tree...
i always make sure i have it and my fold up saw..... i just hit some landmarks so i have a reference point from where a deer may come in and stand at....
Old 09-30-2004, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also find it to be a very useful tool. I really like it when I am hunting on the edge of a field. That is where I tend to think the deer are closer then they really are. I mark off some spots at 30 yards and then wait for the deer to come into that circle. Mine only reads down to 19 or 20 yards but that is not a problem as my first pin is set to 20.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

After more than 20 years of shooting unmarked yardage tournaments - cardboard cutouts, 2D and now 3D; plus all the time I've spent in the woods stump shooting; plus my early work experience as an instrument man on a land surveying crew; plus the fact I limit my shooting distance on hunting shots to 30 yards and less; plus the fact I don't use sights, so I don't have to know exactly which pin to use...

I don't need a rangefinder.[&:]
Old 09-30-2004, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use one. A Bushnell yardage pro. I got it from JC Penny's after a member here posted and told us that there was a misprint on their website. I got it for $99. Before that I used a 40 yard manual focus type that also worked good enough.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't go in the woods without one.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

I wouldn't be without mine for all the reasons Matt/PA mentioned.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:04 AM
Spike

I love mine, I too try to mark off a circle around me at 30 yds, and then try to find some lanmarks at 20. I have the Bushnell yardage pro.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:48 AM

I wouldnt dream of not using one. Sitting in your stand and taking yardage measurements to various open areas near your stand will do a few things.

1. Lower the chances that you will use the wrong pin based on yardage -or eliminate it.

2. Keep your scent to a minimum in the stand area because you do not have to step off yardage

3. Give you a confidence boost because thinking about yardage is one thing you will not have to do when a Whitetail comes along....

Quick Reply: Who bowhunt's using a rangefinder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.