Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ever hunt with a 6 year old? >

Ever hunt with a 6 year old?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ever hunt with a 6 year old?

Old 09-28-2004, 06:53 PM

Default Ever hunt with a 6 year old?

I must say, this was an adventure. I took my 6 year old daughter out today with me. She has really been looking forward to the first time I would take her. I asked her, "can you stay still and quiet for a few hours?". Of course she said, "yes". Then I asked, "Will you gargle with baking soda?". She got a little shakey on that one but finally agreed.
We got out there and were hunting in a brush blind that had a few small pine trees around it. The ground was clean (raked out) so it wasnt noisy. The first 30-45 minutes were great. I pointed out bird and animal sounds, told her about the trees that were around us and identified all the little plants I could. Then it was time to hunt. There were sounds all around and movement starting. She was staying nice and quiet. After about 10 minutes we spotted a doe that was way too far out to get a shot on. Still, this got her very excited. She was watching this doe hoping it would move in closer. Her body was stiff with anticipation... All except her little feet that were rocking back and forth clapping against each other. I couldnt say anything to her about it because she didnt even know she was doing it. She was concentrating and the 6 year old fidgiting kicked in lol. The next 2 hours we sat there doing our best but there was always a nice rythm of noise from the unconscious movements of a 6 year old. I must say, it was very funny when, every 15 minutes or so, she would look up at me and say, "I am doing really good at being still and quiet aren't I daddy?".
I have no regrets. We had little to no chance of getting a deer but the time together, though quiet, was wonderful. When we got back she was very excited about the little hunt. One day we will take a deer together and it will all be worth the wait.
She is good at helping when I gut and butcher our game. I have 2 girls and love every minute of it!!!
Stryker777

One last thing,
When we got home we were still in full garb. Her little mini dacshund was on the porch and there were coyotes yipping in the background. My daughter walked onto the porch and the little dog didnt know who it was or what it was. The dog just whined like she was going to die and went pee on the porch lol.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:05 PM

Default RE: Ever hunt with a 6 year old?

my son is 6 also but i havent taken him archery hunting yet, the last two years i would bow hunt in the mornings then take him out small game hunting with me in the afternoon, of course that is when i would see deer
Old 09-28-2004, 07:51 PM

Sounds like fun!
I was sucessful with my 8 yr old this year. I took my 6 yr old last fri. We didn't see any deer but to my surprize, while walking back he actually said he had fun anyway!
I carry an A-way grunt tube that is not very loud. I tell'em they can use it 2 times every 5 minutes. It keeps them surprisingly entertained.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes, I know the feeling. I took my daughter on a practice run at around five years old. It was right in my backyard. We were just scouting no hunting. My wife had to take my son, 2 at the time, around the block for us to slip off. We go down to a ground blind, I set up just like the one above. She last maybe 20 minutes. She was ready to go back up. No problem, I sent her on her way and told her not to return. I heard "yes daddy". It wasn't five mins. and here she comes with her finger to her mouth going shhhhhh. She was leading her brother and our 100# lab down to the ground blind to hunt. You have to just love it.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:59 PM
Typical Buck

I had my brother in a stand when he was 4, we had a doe that walked in and bedded down underneath him. He was mad that I did not let him take his bow - (I bought him one when he was 2) as he could have "taken her easily". that was 18 years ago and we still talk about that!

This year my boy is 3 and he wants to go out big buck hunting with his bow (my brother bought him one when he was 2). I am looking forward to that!
Old 09-28-2004, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have any kids yet, but I hope to enjoy the same type of experiences that you told us about. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I remember very well all the hunting trips with my dad before the end of the first grade. I wouldn't trade those memories for anything. She doesn't know it now, but in a few years she will cherish those moments as much as you do. Congrats.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:28 PM

I went squirrel hunting with my cousin (12) this weekend, it wasn't five minutes before he got bored and wanted to leave. The whole time (about 30 minutes) we were there he kept asking "can we go" and "when are we going". Needless to say we left right when the squirrels were coming out. Never again! His dad can take him . I am 20 and I don't have the patience for him lol.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:00 AM

Had taken my 4 year old out last year to 'help' hang stands. And this year we've gone squirrel hunting. Nothing like it, once I showed him deer and turkey tracks, he was all over it. It's funny, he knows he should be quite, but he constantly whispers, and I do mean constantly, hehe. Was going to take him turkey hunting this spring, but the scheduling just didn't work out. Can't wait for next year. He's definately going to hunt. His 5'th birthday is Thursday and his favorite uncle got him a bow! Now to start working on the yougest (4).

The Trashcanman
Old 09-29-2004, 05:50 AM

The wife and i just found out we are having a BOY in January. Man i can't wait for my little Hunting buddy to get here. I have a 4 year old stepson that i want to take hunting,but he is still a little wild for the wood's. He shows lots of interest,but we need to work on his quite skill's. My 15 year old stepson has already taken his first deer(doe) with a bow,and his uncle video taped his first turkey with a shotgun. I hope to tape him killing a nice buck this year.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

My son is 5 now and I've been taking him squirrel hunting since he was 2. He does real good but Igo easy on him with the whole being quiet thing so I'm wondering how he will do when it comes time to go bowhunting with me and he has to be quiet.

Quick Reply: Ever hunt with a 6 year old?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.