HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How high is too high? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/73993-how-high-too-high.html)

jrsower 09-27-2004 10:39 AM

How high is too high?

Been watching some videos recently. The most striking thing about the 'pros' is how high their stands are. It looks like those guys are 20 and 25 feet up. Is this normal?

I would estimate my average height around 12 to 15 feet. Am I too low?

Also, it would seem that to be effective at those heights you would have to have a very fast bow. I'm shooting an old PSE. If I go higher would I have to upgrade my setup?

adams 09-27-2004 01:18 PM

RE: How high is too high?

Welcome Jrsower!

IMO you are a little low. I like to be in the 18 to 23 feet range. Just high enough so that I'm in the under canpoy but not so far up that if fources unnecessary steep angle shots. If I were you I'd go a bit higher but I've also shot seer at the heights you've mentioned 12-15 feet.

IMO you have to way the advantages of both being high and being low. Shooting is easier from a lower altitude but getting busted is easier. the higher you go these two flip flop to a point where shooting is difficult and get busted is unlikely. The happy medium that I've found is in the 18-23 foot range. Some trees will take more some less but in this area is where you'll fine me in a tree.:)

TURKEY FAN 09-27-2004 01:25 PM

I hunt both, i hunt 20ft up wind there is no cover and i dont want to be smelled due to thermals, and i have shot deer only 8ft high cuz that was where the cover was at the time.

Katbones 09-27-2004 01:26 PM

Bottle of whiskey and a 6 pack[8D]???

livbucks 09-27-2004 01:48 PM

Welcome and good question!
I usually hunt 18-22 feet. It all depends on what kind of vegetation I can use for background cover. If the canopy is low and there are some tangles behind me I have been good and invisible at 14 feet. In mature timber once I went to 28 feet and a nose bleed!

Fieldmouse 09-27-2004 04:16 PM

Where I hunt you have to be 30'+ There are too many eyeballs around.

Carwi 09-27-2004 04:30 PM

I hunt from 15-25ft. There are areas here I would like to hunt but the area is too thick so I pick several trees that aren't far from the trails and bedding areas that allow me to get that high. Unfortunately it does make for steep downward angle shots that I personally won't take. I'll wait for them to go further away offering a quartering away shot verses an "under the stand" shot. The height you are hunting from should be ok but you are more exposed and more likely to get busted but like the others said, it's a trade off.