HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Groundblind Success ! - photos ! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/73956-groundblind-success-photos.html)

CLOUD 9, MN 09-26-2004 08:19 PM

Groundblind Success ! - photos !

One goal I had for this season was to shoot my first deer with my new Double Bull BS-5 groundblind while hunting with my 6 year old son. WE DID IT! This is the second time out this season and saturday afternon we set out. We were there for a couple hours and hadn't seen a thing. You should have seen my son's eyes when he spotted a real big doe at he other end of the foodplot working its way towards us. I admit, I was shaking pretty good. I had my bow back for a good minute.......I needed the deer to take one more step. It did, and I delivered! It took off, and we heard a CRASH and THRASH! A very good sound. We kept hunting and 15 minutes later my son hits me and points, a doe was comming from the other directions. We grabbed the video camera and filmed it at 18 yards. About an hour after we shot, we got out and started our search. With his little mini-mag we found the doe 45 yards from where we shot it! I really wish I would have recorded him telling the story to his MOM. It was really cool!

The does dressed out at 138 lbs. and I must say the Double Bull blind worked well. We could move around without the deer seeing anything. The camo shoot-thru mesh worked like a charm!

CLOUD 9, MN 09-26-2004 08:20 PM

RE: Groundblind Success ! - photos !

The doe

CLOUD 9, MN 09-26-2004 08:21 PM

One more

CLOUD 9, MN 09-26-2004 08:23 PM

I wish I had a 25 yard to 50 yard photo of the ground blind. Its amazing how it dissappeared in the brush. Its hazelbrush and sumac.

buckeye 09-26-2004 08:23 PM

congrats! Sounds like you guys had a blast:)

CLOUD 9, MN 09-26-2004 08:30 PM

If anyone is wondering, this foodplot is a strip of Impreial Clover, a strip of Extreme, and a srtip of rape/turnip mix. Another note is we typically don't ever hunt our foodplots. We leave them as a safe area for the deer. Taking a doe with my son was a special circumstance, but worth the experiance.

Good Luck!

jerry606 09-26-2004 08:38 PM

congrats, thats a whopper of a doe [:-]

RackLuster 09-26-2004 09:06 PM

hey cloud, that is one heck of a doe. Your boy sure looked proud! I can't wait until my son is old enough to come with me, he's only 1.

I've been thinking of buying a ground blind. Double bull's are made in the town I grew up in, so I figure I should support the local economy and get one of theirs.

CLOUD 9, MN 09-26-2004 09:39 PM

Hey Rack.....if you stop in there (Big Lake, MN) you can buy "seconds" at a discounted price. Thats where I got mine.

Goood Luck!

JeramyK 09-26-2004 09:54 PM

Congrats Cloud, nice lookin' doe! :)

RackLuster 09-26-2004 10:45 PM

those traitors! they moved to big lake? they used to be in monticello. i'll have to stop in there and take a look.

SumHunter 09-27-2004 01:38 AM

Congrats...And it even makes it that much more special that your son was there to experience it with you.

cardeer 09-27-2004 01:50 AM

Way to go,Nice fat doe. Ground hunting the only way to hunt, facing deer on the ground at short yardage is a REAL rush

MassSeaWolves bowhunter 09-27-2004 04:15 AM

congrats on your harvest!!

Stryker777 09-27-2004 04:40 AM

Congrats! Bet your son was happy. Cant wait to take my kids out with me when they get old enough.

mrfritz44 09-27-2004 05:37 AM

Wow, that's a heck of a blind setup. Blends right in to those hedges. Congrats!

w00dy14 09-27-2004 06:21 AM

Congrats on the deer. You must work for Double Bull though huh? I see there offices are very close to you, or did they move to st. cloud?

adams 09-27-2004 07:19 AM

Congrats Cloud!

I'm sure this is one you won't forget. Nice hit you put n the doe too.;)

KimberRuger 09-27-2004 07:57 AM

Looking at your son's face, and imagining him telling his mother about the experience, I thin it would be safe to say he was on "cloud 10" ...

I also imagine that this hunt is right up there with the one where you took your personal biggest buck - and this deer didn't even have a rack.

Congrats on a GREAT hunt !

Katbones 09-27-2004 08:14 AM

:DGreat story and pics. thank you 4 sharing this
Congrats to you and yours:)

TURKEY FAN 09-27-2004 08:45 AM

That aint no doe...........................THATS A HORSE!:eek::D

silentassassin 09-27-2004 09:00 AM

That's a monster doe. Congrats to you and your son. It sounds like y'all had a great hunt!

John Deer 09-27-2004 09:07 AM

Congrats Cloud to you and your son on a great experience and memory made!!

WV Hunter 09-27-2004 09:09 AM

Congrats :D Nice doe!

bscofield 09-27-2004 09:37 AM

Congrats man! What a huge lookin' doe!

Ground hunting (blind or no) seems like a lot of fun. But since I haven't taken my first deer yet I want to wait until I got some experience under the ole' belt!

Thanks for sharing!

BowHuntingFool 09-27-2004 10:13 AM

Very Cool!!!!! Nice Doe congrats!!!!!!!

PABowhntr 09-27-2004 10:50 AM

Congratulations. That is one impressive doe and I bet it was a great deal of fun being able to do it with your son along. Your past has me greatly looking forward to when I will eventually be able to take mine along as well.

That DB blind looks like it blends in very well with teh area you put it in. I think field edges are excellent spots to set up a blind for an ambush like the one you described.

drop em were they stand 09-27-2004 12:50 PM

Congrats Cloud, thats a nice lookin doe. Keep up the good work!

Rob/PA Bowyer 09-27-2004 01:18 PM

Congratulations and like someone said, that is a whopper of a doe....and a beautiful shot may I add. What a wonderful hunt.

deerslayer223 09-27-2004 02:18 PM

Congrads that does a horse! U made one heck of a nice shot to. I'm sure that's one experience you and your son will never forget! :D

BeltedMag 09-27-2004 04:11 PM

Congradulations, i cant wait to use my blind for the first time this year and hopefully have success like you and your son

CLOUD 9, MN 09-28-2004 07:44 PM

Thanks for all the congratulations guys! It was a fun trip. In our next couple trips in the ground blind we will use the DECOY. Now that should be interesting! (if you remember my first two times using it last year) Ithinks we may have a couple more weeks with the leaves still on the underbrush, then it probably will get pretty tough in the ground blind.

Good Luck!

huntinMN 09-28-2004 09:07 PM

Nice looking doe CLOUD, looks like you guys had a lot of fun. That blind blends in perfectly, excellent set-up.

tmccarty11 09-29-2004 10:17 PM

Congrats!!!!!!!

Lady Forge 09-30-2004 05:45 AM

Congrats on a great hunt and a big ole doe...... hunting with your kids is a blast ..... sometimes they make you laugh at the worst times.... especialy when they fall asleep in the blind and start snoring when a buck walks up at 19 yards... you just gotta laugh.:D You and your son will have a wonderful memory to look back on together.

wideone 09-30-2004 07:18 AM

Congrats! I have wanted to try my double bull blind with my middle son, but just haven't had the nerve to try it. It obviously worked great! Did you hunt it immediately after setup?

skycade 09-30-2004 08:38 AM

Congrats! Nice looking doe.

Carpmaster 09-30-2004 12:06 PM

Nice doe and congrats on a good hunt with the son!!!!!

TREEDOG 09-30-2004 03:29 PM

Man that one big fatt doe, congrats. It must be extra special to harvest it with your son in the blind with you. I bet he will picking up a bow and hunting himself when he can.

CLOUD 9, MN 09-30-2004 04:09 PM

My son shoots at least once a week and alot more in the winter. He's been shooting since he was 4 and his sister is now shooting at 4 also. Last year he got second at the MN Sate archery tournament, he really can shoot weel. He's turning 7 in a couple months. We ran into a guy in the local proshop the other day and told us there no age limit in North Dakota and you must pull 30 lbs. My son said, "let's go! I can pull 30 pounds" What am I going to say......I just said, "well, we'll see when you can pull 40 lbs." He proceeded to tell me He was starting to "workout" for next year."

I have a feeling we may be visiting North Dakota next year with a 7/almost 8 year old.

Good Luck!