HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How would you handle this? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/73864-how-would-you-handle.html)

kybuck1 09-25-2004 07:31 PM

How would you handle this?

We have a 200+ acre private farm to hunt, I have settled in to the back field which is about 30 acres surrounded by woods. I have been seeing 3 nice bucks all 3 wallhangers for sure. The good part about this is to hunt this area all I have to do is walk about 75 yds down a logging road connecting an adjoining field and set up right at the beginning of this area. The deer come out farther down in the field and almost always filter up towards me. My hunting partner is mad at me because he wants to hunt the same area and I told him to wait until I get one and then he can hunt the other two. I am not being selfish at all, I want him to get a big buck I just see no reason to disturb the area at all when you don't have to and the bucks are showing themselves on a regular basis. Am I wrong to think this way!

bwhunter501 09-25-2004 07:35 PM

RE: How would you handle this?

You were there first right? tell him tough luck:eek:

m.t.hands 09-25-2004 07:49 PM

tuf one kybuck, this could go either way, you can't be there all the time, but the other hunter should respect you and your area. best of luck, i just hope it dosen't get ugly and cause some hard feelings

gibblet 09-25-2004 07:57 PM

yep, once you get yours he probably won't catch one of the others there for a while.

Fieldmouse 09-25-2004 09:01 PM

If you've seen three nice ones, imagine what you haven't seen. It's one thing to see wall hangers it's another thing to get them within range. That is a lot of property to bow hunt . Both of you can hunt it together and not screw anything up. Just work with each other. I often hunt 60 to 100 yrds from my friends. It doesn't hurt a bit. Just agree not to get greedy. Shoot one let the other one walk.

huntingheck69 09-25-2004 09:35 PM

I agree with fieldmouse with an area that large you guys should be able to hunt it at the same time without screwing up each others hunts. but in that situation communication is the key. because I know how you feel there is nothing worse than stting in your stand or ground blind and watching another hunter walk right by you. might as well just go home. But either way good luck with whatever you decide to do.

mossy33oak 09-25-2004 10:34 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: kybuck1

My hunting partner is mad at me because he wants to hunt the same area and I told him to wait until I get one and then he can hunt the other two. I am not being selfish at all, I want him to get a big buck I just see no reason to disturb the area at all when you don't have to
Team up!!! Go in together, you get on one trail, he on another, even if you are 50 yrds apart, and whomever gets the shots is it!!! I've hunted back to back before, doesnt bother me, especially if your partner is your friend. Go out have a good time, enjoy being in the woods, and you may get lucky enough to pull off a double!!

sneekky 09-26-2004 04:53 AM

yep 200 acres is plenty for 2 guys and you still wont cover it all.If hes a good hunter that practices scent control and hes as good as a friend that you say he is then i dont see why you wouldnt want him out there with you to enjoy it as you do.

Fieldmouse 09-26-2004 06:25 AM

ORIGINAL: huntingheck69

because I know how you feel there is nothing worse than stting in your stand or ground blind and watching another hunter walk right by you. might as well just go home.
Never ever feel this way. I can't tell you how many times some one has come by me and my hunt is fine. I've had kids, adults, dogs, horses, bikes, go carts and yes those pesky hunters. Just hang out. To a deer this is just everyday life. They slowly go about their biz. They will keep a watch. If it's another hunter, the deer may take a wide path to avoid that hunter and end up underneath you. They live with it everyday.

Good luck

OHBowhunter 09-26-2004 07:01 AM

Sounds greedy to me! You said it was both of your areas. Why again can't he hunt there? Did you both put the time in to scout and hang stands? I feel like a first grade teacher "Now take turns boys". Come on now this sport is more than just about getting the big one. 200 acres and you two are going to fight about a place to sit, geesh.