HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   I figured it out!!! Treestand height affecting shot. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/73761-i-figured-out-treestand-height-affecting-shot.html)

thenuge15 09-24-2004 02:03 PM

I figured it out!!! Treestand height affecting shot.

There was a post about how height affects your shot, and we learned velocity vectors in physics today so I figured it out. There are a lot of variables that would change this, but here is a pic I made in paint.

I was not able to get a very precise reading because I had round my degree measurments as well as fps measurements, because my initial measurments were only two significant digits. I had to go back and change the numbers because of this, this resulted in the jumpiness of the text so I apologize for that.

I still think bending at the waist is the biggest problem though.

adams 09-24-2004 02:10 PM

RE: I figured it out!!! Treestand height affecting shot.

It dosn't take an engineer to agree with that;):D

Rob/PA Bowyer 09-24-2004 03:11 PM

ORIGINAL: adams

It dosn't take an engineer to agree with that;):D
Exacty!

Phade 09-24-2004 03:14 PM

ORIGINAL: thenuge15

There was a post about how height affects your shot, and we learned velocity vectors in physics today so I figured it out. There are a lot of variables that would change this, but here is a pic I made in paint.

I was not able to get a very precise reading because I had round my degree measurments as well as fps measurements, because my initial measurments were only two significant digits. I had to go back and change the numbers because of this, this resulted in the jumpiness of the text so I apologize for that.

now is it able to calculate the distance change?
The part that alsways threw me off was the height of the animal. If you say the shot is 20 yads away, would the height of the animal figure into the picture? I mean we arent not shooting at a flat spot on the ground, rather a target at 20 yards aproximately X amount of inches above the ground.

Thats the one that gets me.

m.t.hands 09-24-2004 03:36 PM

the plane the deer is standing on is not that flat around here:D

, thats why i said i lean out in/against my harness, wife says i'm crazy, i can live with that, btw thems some purty trangles you drawed, and i still say practice from your stand, thats how all my shots at deer have been, from my stand:D

thenuge15 09-24-2004 03:38 PM

Phade, you could say the stand was 17 feet and account for the deer being 3 feet off the ground and I think it would be the same. I'm not figuring it out it took to long in the first place lol.

zrexpilot 09-24-2004 04:00 PM

Wrong answer ! Nope aint buying it, you will not gain 10 fps second shooting at that angle. The answer is gravity , gravity pulls an arrow down as you shoot horizontally when you shoot down gravity doesnt have that same pull cause your already shooting down, theres no arch in the path of the arrow when your shooting down. same with a rifle shooting down a mountain.

b2simple 09-24-2004 04:17 PM

Do I feel stupid now or what??? [8D] Thanks for all the math, but I just bend at the waist ;)!

gibblet 09-24-2004 07:06 PM

horzontal velocity and vertical acceleration are independent. and nuge, you should be ashamed of yourself, a budding physicist, for converting any of those numbers out of the metric system. also, horizontal velocity, in a perfect equation or a vacuum doesn't change, but with vane drag it sure does. you could have easily figured the distances using the good old pythagorean theorem. an object will gain an immediate vertical acceleration of 9.8 m/s2 no matter which direction it is fired in, but that's just it, vertical acceleration, straight down towards the center of the earth. it will gain no horizontal velocity as a result of this ever, period, they are independent. the distance should be measured from the ground to your target, so in your triangle you would use your 20 yd pin and not adjust as if it were a 21 yd shot. if you fire a rifle perfectly level with nothing in its way and drop a penny at the same time and from the same height, they will both hit the ground at exactly the same time. think about that.

SCbowhntr 09-24-2004 07:48 PM

gibblet,
You are absolutely correct. Horizontal distance is the only factor influincing arrow drop. However, at relatively steep angles such as if you are 30 feet (10 yards) up a tree shooting at a target that is 10 yards from the base of your tree, your lazer would read (line-of-sight) 14 yards and some change. This accounts for the majority of close shots being high. At 20 yards the effect is somewhat less with a hypoteneuse of 22.4 yards. The further out you get, the less effect it has. I used to carry a pocket calculator to the stand with me to do yardage conversions and I guess for something to do (yeah I'm an engineering nerd).