Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I figured it out!!! Treestand height affecting shot. >

I figured it out!!! Treestand height affecting shot.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I figured it out!!! Treestand height affecting shot.

Old 09-26-2004, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I figured it out!!! Treestand height affecting shot.

Did anyone bother to read the link I posted ? I though it expalined it quite well. here I'm just gonna paste it here.

Shooting on an Angle

Bows are generally sighted in for horizontal shots, where arrow trajectories are predictable. However, when you shoot from a high tree stand or on an uphill or downhill slope, the rules for trajectory change.

At a given distance, gravity has the greatest effect on trajectory for an arrow flying horizontally, and has gradually less effect as the shooting angle is raised or lowered. The reason for this is that the trajectory arc is determined by the horizontal distance the arrow travels, not the overall distance. When shooting at steep angles, either up or down, aiming for the actual distance to the target is a mistake, since this measurement may be considerably larger than the horizontal distance that governs the arrow's trajectory. For example, if you shoot at a target 40 yards away down a steep hill, using your 40-yard sight pin, your shot will probably go high of the mark. At steep angles, you must learn to compensate by aiming low.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get on a skyscraper and shoot perfectly straight down and tell me it has an arch.
anybody ever play monopoly and hear the phrase "go directley to jail"[:-]

i'm with you though zrex, more downhill or a more drastic angle is less drop or arch, i did read your link, like i said before shooting up/downhill changes things for me, it always has, and i still say practice from a tree just like real conditions.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:35 PM
Spike

Or maybe the deer just ducks the arrow and you people need to aim a bit lower and forget the math.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SCbowhntr

This accounts for the majority of close shots being high. At 20 yards the effect is somewhat less with a hypoteneuse of 22.4 yards
I saw a hyptenouse at the zoo once. I think I'd crap myself if I were to meet one in the wild and only had my bow!
Old 09-27-2004, 06:57 AM

If I remember correctly I was the one who posted the orignal question about shooting out of a tree stand this season. See: http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...1&key=&#745256 Anywho, Im in awe of all of the intrest in the subject. I'm just a simple minded country boy at heart and (no offence) I don't plan to watch a deer pass while I take out my calculator and figure out the hypotanusssesusesss of how far it is. I'll be happy with practicing at home, bending at the waist, and taking a clean shot. However, all of ya'll have truly made me think....naw' I wouldn't go that far. But you impressed me with your kanawledge.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

By the time the nuge has all of his vectors, velocities, acceleration, and distance figured, I will have shot, tracked, gutted, and began dragging my deer
Old 09-27-2004, 07:12 AM

Wow,You guys have way too much time on your hands.I can hardly reset the time on the VCR,and you guys are figuring out all these calculations for a treestand shot,unbelieveable!
I hunt alot of hillsides,and I could just see myself making a bunch of calculations for a shot.
Practice,know your equipment and skill,bend at the waist,and use a rangefinder.
One other thing,Aim a little low,you will be amazed how well this works when shooting out of a treestand...Bob
Old 09-27-2004, 07:33 AM

I agree with the original post though wording Im not sure about. Using a 20 yard pin, if you have an upward arc, with a horizontal shot you are shooting against gravity. This in itself will slow the arrow. Shooting downward you do not have an upward arc that is moving against to the gravity field. You are closer to parallel. The closer to parallel of gravitational pull you are, the less resistance to your arrow and the farther it can go. It has nothing to do with how long it takes to drop, it has to do with the forward momentum and how far it will travel before its time is up.
Stryker777
Old 09-27-2004, 08:06 AM

I'm with thundermug on this one.
I don't know if I have enough KE to get adequate penetration on a hypotenouse!
Old 09-27-2004, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm never going to really do that on stand, I was just doing it because I wanted to know why it happens, and what causes it. I practice out of treestand all the time and I know how my bow shoots. This was totally unecessary I just thought I would do it for fun or proof.