Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I figured it out!!! Treestand height affecting shot. >

I figured it out!!! Treestand height affecting shot.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I figured it out!!! Treestand height affecting shot.

Old 09-24-2004, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I figured it out!!! Treestand height affecting shot.

I was not talking about verticle aceleration being compared to the horizontal velocity. The 32 feet/sec squared is the verticle acceleration shared by both arrows. There is a forward velocity and a downward velocity on the angled arrow. Velocity and acceleration are totally different. I also think that the vane drag would be equal with both arrows. If you read the info I do use the horizontal distance to judge both of the of times.

zrexpilot if gravity is NOT pulling the downward angle one down then I ask you this, Would it hurt more if I dropped a rock on your head from 20ft or 3 ft?
Old 09-24-2004, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe I just aint explaining it correctly. If you shot your bow at a perfect horizontal line of sight out at a target 40yds away how much would the arrow drop by the time it reached the target, I'm just throwing a number out there but lets say 10 inches of drop, okay now climb a tree and shoot 40 yds straight down, how much will the arrow drop ? zero because your shooting down, the arrow will fly with a perfect line of sight. You could shoot from a mile up in the air it would still fly straight with line of sight. you understand what I'm trying to say ? gravity has less affect on pulling an arrow down from line of sight when shot at a downward angle, the steeper the angle the less the arrow will drop from line of sight.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Simple search turned this up. Says basicaly the same thing I've been saying.
http://www.gandermountain.com/hunting/article.asp_Q_id_E_40
Old 09-24-2004, 08:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Boy all this talk about angles, degrees, etc.
Why not just do what I do? If I'm on an evening hunt, before I get into my tree stand, I take a couple quick yardage readings at various trees around my stand. If I'm in my stand before light, when it does get light, I shoot a few yardages at branches on my level.
Oh yeah, and practice from a tree stand if you can.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:03 AM
Typical Buck

... or you can just range to the nearest tree on the same level as you stand and use the correct pin for that distance.

Think about where the arrow would exit if you get a pass through and if that would be sticking through the heart on both sides, SHOOT!
Old 09-25-2004, 06:30 AM

here's a quote from that article that i think explains it well (below my post). nuge, if you fire a projectile at a target 40 yds away horizontally, but 50 yds down vertically, it will only get to the target as fast as its horizontal velocity gets it there. the vertical acceleration will not affect the speed that it gets there. yes, it will exert downward force on the target also, but that won't get it there any faster. again, think about the bullet and penny example, this shows the independent nature of those 2. in your rock example, it would depend if you used the same rock for both trials.

"Here's how geometry can be used to calculate how arrow trajectory changes when shooting on an incline:
Visualize the hunting situation as a right-angle triangle, with two perpendicular legs; (A), the distance from the hunter to the ground; and (B), the distance from the animal to the ground directly below the hunter. The sloped hypotenuse, (C), is the distance from the hunter to the animal. In essence, the drop of an arrow fired along the inclined hypotenuse will equal the drop of an arrow traveling the horizontal distance (B).
For example, imagine you're on a cliff, where you spot a buck standing below at a 45-degree angle to your line of sight. Your rangefinder shows that the distance along the sloped line to the buck is 30 yards. Using a basic formula from geometry, called the Pythagorean Theorem (A2 + B2 = C2), you can calculate that side B, representing the horizontal distance to the deer, is roughly 21 yards. To hit the deer in the kill zone, then, you would use the 20-yard sight pin, not the 30-yard pin."
Old 09-25-2004, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

You would still hit high gibblet, because a bow sighted in at 20 yds horizontally will have some type of drop (trajectory) when shooting at the elevated position 21 yds out, ( 30yds from arrow to target) the arrow has less trajectory because your shooting down, the arrow will hit high using the 20 yd pin.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

gibblet in no way am I stating that you are using two different aiming points. Totally disregard the fact that I figured out the hypotenous of the triangle. I am saying that this is if you use your 20yd pin for both of them.

I know the verticle acceleration will not affect the speed I never stated it would. Both arrows are being affected equally by the verticle acceleration. The fact is the angled arrow has verticle velocity as well as forward velocity.

Zrexpilot, I think we are kind of agreeing because I'm saying that the reason you have less arc on a angled arrow is because of speed, and you are agreeing but you don't really have a reason for less arch.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:31 AM

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

You would still hit high gibblet, because a bow sighted in at 20 yds horizontally will have some type of drop (trajectory) when shooting at the elevated position 21 yds out, ( 30yds from arrow to target) the arrow has less trajectory because your shooting down, the arrow will hit high using the 20 yd pin.
no, u no understand.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

We already had this discussion...lol

Same things came up.
http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=768701

Quick Reply: I figured it out!!! Treestand height affecting shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.