Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ever been bitten by a snake? >

ever been bitten by a snake?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ever been bitten by a snake?

Old 09-23-2004, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default ever been bitten by a snake?

Have any of you ever been bitten by a snake while out in the early part of bowseason? I haven't, but I have had MANY close run-ins. I need to get some snake boots, since i do a lot of hunting in marshy areas, but i just wanted to know if any of you have been bitten, and what you did after the fact?
Old 09-23-2004, 05:21 PM

Default RE: ever been bitten by a snake?

I have never had a close encounter or been bitten during any hunting season but during the summer i almost got bit several times.I was out walkin around checkin things out and i stepped on a little copper head, Luckly i stepped right on his head so he didnt have a chance to bite me.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:32 PM

Never been bit while hunting. Have been stupid and got bit though. I was looking for an arrow in shorts and sandles when I stepped on a copperhead. It barely nicked my toe. I just went inside poured alcohol on it and then put a baking soda paste on it. It was just a scrape so it didnt do much, just swelled slightly and got a dark patch around it. Later it peeled and now its almost healed.
A copperhead isnt all that bad for some people. A rattlesnake is another story.
I stepped on a pigmy rattle snake 2 years ago. Luckily I was wearing boots and it just did a warning strike then took off.
With any poison, bite, sting, etc., I use antibacterial stuff first because bacterial infection is the biggest killer, then use something to neutralize or draw out the poison like a paste made of baking soda and water or spit. If it is venomous enough to do major harm, get medical attention fast.
Stryker777
Old 09-23-2004, 07:15 PM

i have had lots of close incounters but only bit once. It was a year ago and i was fishing on this old dock on this little pond. The was a board that had fallin and caught on the side, just enough for somthing little to lay on it. But i was fishing and not paying attintion walked right over the board and a snake ( couldnt tell what it was and didnt want to stay around long enough to find out) and luckly i had some boots on and the snake poped up and bit the top of my steel toed boots. But all and all i wasnt hurt and just got out of there before i would have
Old 09-23-2004, 09:57 PM

Got bit by a Cotton Mouth about 3 years ago. Was walking around my sea wall at the camp in Louisiana with flip flops on fishing. I know stupid. Stepped right on it and it bit me on the inside of my ankle. You know how they say when you get bit stay calm, well the person who came up with that theory obviously has never been bit. My wife was no help she just kept saying your going to die, your going to die. Well needless to say it was two of the sickest days of my life. Only way I can explain it is that it feals like food poisoning x 3 The doctor said that if I ever get bit again I will have built up a little amunity to the poison. I told him I did not plan on testing his theory. My theory is the only snake that is not poisonous is a dead one.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Have not been bitten over here but have been bitten twice back home by the common brown snake which just happens to be the 2nd deadliest snake in the world.
Both times I spent 2 weeks in hospital getting jabbed with anti vanien (sp).
Thought I was gonna die both times, have never been so sick in all my life.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:31 PM
Fork Horn

I say this as I'm knocking on wood....I've only had one close call, and that was close enough.
I was walking around Lake Wapapello in southern Missouri last May. The lake was up and I stepped up onto a boulder, luckily I didn't step off the other side. I caught a cottonmouth's head move to display its nice white mouth.[:-] Had to be 3 to 3-1/2 ft long and as thick as a baseball. The St. Louis Zoo has one in its reptile house that looks like it's twin. I haven't been back to that lake since.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:46 AM

I was bitten by a rattler last hunting season.[&o]it was in a dried up pond with little tussest's(sp) and the snake was laying up on one of those and hit me right at the top of my socks.it was a small one anout 1 1/2' long and didn't get much juice into me.[]
my leg turned all sorts of colors and had a long black strip down my leg to my foot.
never got really sick,just sore and the fang holes rotted out.
Dr. said didn't get a lot on juice,so it was OK in about a mo.[&:]
Old 09-24-2004, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was bitten by a big black snake once. It was my fault as I decided to goof with him. When their threatened like that they can get real agressive so I found out. He whacked me right on the shin and about flipped me. I never realized they hit that hard when they strike. Kinda like someone giving you a charley horse. Anyway, it swelled up like a balloon and turned all kinds of colors and it did make me sick for a day, nothing terrible, but kinda woosey. He was about 6ft long. Thank goodness it was only a black snake.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:04 AM
Spike

Just curious, how likely are you getting bit in knee high rubber boots?

Quick Reply: ever been bitten by a snake?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.