HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   new bow for $350 or less - set up out the door what would it be? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/73620-new-bow-350-less-set-up-out-door-what-would.html)

click 09-23-2004 09:18 AM

new bow for $350 or less - set up out the door what would it be?

for the average hunter who does not shoot everyday but amaybe a couple times aweek and is only interested in hunting whitetail, hunting from a treestand.
you have $350 to buy a brand new bow for this situation what would it be for you and why. This price must include set up and accessories out the door. Can you make it work and with what?
why you ask because this is my situation.:D
I have been looking in the pse line such as the typhoon but the package kits from basspro some of those look pretty good to. I just also looked at the fire flight package from cabelas but i dont know.

udhorky 09-23-2004 12:06 PM

RE: new bow for $350 or less - set up out the door what would it be?

I was in the same boat as you. I went with the Parker Buck Hunter Outfiltter(See link below). Thus far it has been great. I am new to bow hunting and it is fitting my needs well. It is a tad louder then other bows I have shot but only being 289.00 at Bass Pro I am very happy with it. That 289.99 gets you most everything besides arrows, tips and a release. Take a look at it..... Good luck...

http://www.parkerbows.com/buckhunteroutfitter.html

PABowhntr 09-23-2004 12:44 PM

If I may work "backwords" for a moment. $350 out the door would include tax. In PA the sales tax is 6% so that would put the actual cost around $325. So we will use that as a baseline.

A Full setup to me would mean to include arrows and a release which you do not typically find in many of the archery catalog "package" deals. Lets assume a half dozen arrows as opposed to a full dozen just to keep it as inexpensive as possible.

- half dozen carbon or aluminum "inexpensive" arrows

$25

- standard caliper style release

$25

- decent 3 pin fiber optic sight

$30

- decent 4 arrow quiver

$25

- TM hunter style arrow rest

$20

- broadheads

$20

- fieldpoints

$1.25

Optional accessories

- Peep sight $5

- Stabilizer $25

- limbsavers $15

- cat whiskers $2

Without the optional accessories we are looking at still having about $178.75 to still purchase a bare bow. With the optional accessories we are looking at $131.75 still left to purchase a bare bow. You can probably get a PSE Nova with the first price quote but you will be hard to find any bow for the second price quote.

Now, obviously, some of these package deals knock off the price for the individual accessories to some extent but in my estimation you are still looking at a figure no more than $200 to intially work with to get just the bow itself. There are very few bows that fit into that price range. The PSE Nova, some cast magnesium riser models from Reflex and Golden Eagle maybe but not many others I am aware of.

Hope this helps somewhat with your search.

HaGar43 09-23-2004 01:05 PM

The wallyworls in my area have a Buckmaster BTR 32 Pro package that looks good for $250.00...Bow...WB Rest...3 pin FO sight...4 arrow quiver.

Paul L Mohr 09-23-2004 01:19 PM

I'd be looking at used bows if I were you. I almost bought a mathews MQ32 for under 400 bucks when I got my bowtech. And it came with sights, a sling, Muzzy drop away rest, quiver and some other stuff. You would most likely still need the release and arrows. Don't forget a target if you don't belong to a club where you can shoot. A simple hay bail will not work with these newer bows. The arrows zip right thru them.

Getting into archery the first time can be a bit expensive, especially if you want to go modern.

Most of the inexpensive bows I suggest to people are still in the 3 to 4 hundred dollar range.

Parker has a package that comes with a hunter mag, a completely set up bow, some arrows and a release. I think it retails for around $450 or so.

I'm sure there are cheaper, but I haven't personally looked at any. I still think a good used bow would be your best bang for the buck for around 300 some dollars. You can find some older bows pretty cheap. Like around $100 or $150 dollars. They might not be the newest greatest technology, but niether will a new one for 2 or 3 hundred dollars either.

Frank would be the guy listen or talk to (above post), I think he has sold more bows in the time I have known him than some of my local pro shops have!;)

The most important part is making sure the bow fits you and you have some sort of support from the person you get it from. Getting one off from ebay may be a great deal, or may end up being a waste of money if you can't get it to fit you find any one that can help you get it set up and tuned.

If you live near a Cabela's hitting the bargain cave may not be a bad idea either.

Good luck,
Paul

adams 09-23-2004 02:09 PM

I think Paul is right. If you'r limited to a budget of 350$ I personally be looking for a quality second had bow. You'd be suprised how many people trad in bows after just 1 or 2 years and this isn't a bad time to be in the market for one. IMO you would be ahead of the game going this route.

When I bought my first bow 12 years I bought a PSE Thunder Flight and hunted with it for 12 years. I spent near what you have listed for a max and got a great dependable bow. I will go on record as stating a good bow dosn't need to cost $600. The nova set up is a good start.

Paul L Mohr 09-23-2004 03:02 PM

Ok, I looked at cabela's web site. If you are intent on getting a bow this way, this is what I would do. I would get the Reflex Excursion bow package for $319 dollars. This bow offers a fair amount of the newer technology for a good price. Or get the same bow, but bare. Then get an inexpensive 3 pin sight like say the true glow for around 30 bucks, you might find them cheaper at walmart or something. Then get a decent inexpensive rest, like a quicktune or GFK prong for around 25 bucks. And top it off with a Kwikee quiver that detaches from your bow for 17 bucks. You could play with the items a bit and stay between 320 and 350 dollars. But this way you could a better rest or sights or something other than what came with the bow.

Then go to say dunhams or dicks or something, or even a local archery shop and get some pre finnnished aluminum arrows like Yukons, Nomads, Maxums, or even some original gamegetters. These are pretty decent arrows for the price and usually come with uni bushings already installed. Might cost you 40 or 50 bucks a dozen. However a shop may be able to build you up six or so for around 30 or 35 bucks. Then pick yourself up a inexpensive release by cobra or truefire, say another 25 or 30 bucks.

This would put you over the 350 mark by the time you were done, but not much, and it would be a pretty good set up.

The Excursion bow is pretty simular to the Hoyt Magnatec bows from a few years ago. These were excellent bows for the money, and still are. Reflex is made by Hoyt, so you would still be getting the tec risor, a good cam system, and quality strings. This isn't the fastest bow you could get by far, but it isn't bad for the money either at a 295 IBO. It also has pretty decent geometry from what I can tell. It doesn't look to have a lot of reflex to it, maybe an inch. It has a very generous brace height at over 8 inches (probably has something to do with IBO speed being under 300 fps) and it has a decent Axle to Axle at 34 1/2 inches. It should be a pretty forgiving bow to shoot.

Not to mention with that risor and those cams it should be a pretty smooth drawing bow with not much noise or vibration. Later on down the road get some Limb savers and a good stabilzer and it will be even better.

The hard part will be finding someone to set it up and tune it for you if you don't know how. I would check out some local shops to see how close they can come to that over all. The extra money is always worth the extra support, especially if you are new to the sport.

And the key here is knowing the bow is the proper draw length and a weight you can shoot comfortably. I don't really suggest getting a bow sight unseen without shooting it first. Or shooting it set up to fit you. It could mean the difference between truly enjoying this sport, or hating it because you have nothing but problems and cannot shoot well.

Good luck,
Paul

udhorky 09-23-2004 05:29 PM

Being new to bowhunting myself purchasing my bow at Bass Pro helped a ton! The Parker I purchased came sighted in and ready to go. I had to do a little adjusting since everyone shoots differently but they helped me there at their in-store range. Even if you cant afford to purchase a bow there you should at least go there and have them measure your draw and ask their opinion.

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Ok, I looked at cabela's web site. If you are intent on getting a bow this way, this is what I would do. I would get the Reflex Excursion bow package for $319 dollars. This bow offers a fair amount of the newer technology for a good price. Or get the same bow, but bare. Then get an inexpensive 3 pin sight like say the true glow for around 30 bucks, you might find them cheaper at walmart or something. Then get a decent inexpensive rest, like a quicktune or GFK prong for around 25 bucks. And top it off with a Kwikee quiver that detaches from your bow for 17 bucks. You could play with the items a bit and stay between 320 and 350 dollars. But this way you could a better rest or sights or something other than what came with the bow.

Then go to say dunhams or dicks or something, or even a local archery shop and get some pre finnnished aluminum arrows like Yukons, Nomads, Maxums, or even some original gamegetters. These are pretty decent arrows for the price and usually come with uni bushings already installed. Might cost you 40 or 50 bucks a dozen. However a shop may be able to build you up six or so for around 30 or 35 bucks. Then pick yourself up a inexpensive release by cobra or truefire, say another 25 or 30 bucks.

This would put you over the 350 mark by the time you were done, but not much, and it would be a pretty good set up.

The Excursion bow is pretty simular to the Hoyt Magnatec bows from a few years ago. These were excellent bows for the money, and still are. Reflex is made by Hoyt, so you would still be getting the tec risor, a good cam system, and quality strings. This isn't the fastest bow you could get by far, but it isn't bad for the money either at a 295 IBO. It also has pretty decent geometry from what I can tell. It doesn't look to have a lot of reflex to it, maybe an inch. It has a very generous brace height at over 8 inches (probably has something to do with IBO speed being under 300 fps) and it has a decent Axle to Axle at 34 1/2 inches. It should be a pretty forgiving bow to shoot.

Not to mention with that risor and those cams it should be a pretty smooth drawing bow with not much noise or vibration. Later on down the road get some Limb savers and a good stabilzer and it will be even better.

The hard part will be finding someone to set it up and tune it for you if you don't know how. I would check out some local shops to see how close they can come to that over all. The extra money is always worth the extra support, especially if you are new to the sport.

And the key here is knowing the bow is the proper draw length and a weight you can shoot comfortably. I don't really suggest getting a bow sight unseen without shooting it first. Or shooting it set up to fit you. It could mean the difference between truly enjoying this sport, or hating it because you have nothing but problems and cannot shoot well.

Good luck,
Paul

click 09-23-2004 08:28 PM

i guess i should clerify. i am not new to bow hunting, i just sold a bow that i had been shoot for a couple years and now i am looking to buy another bow. i have several groups of arrows that i could still shoot if they fit the bow and i have a couple of releases. so that is not an issue. I have experince in paper tuning and so forth
my question was which bow would you suggest as far as performance from all that you know. $350 including bow, rest,quiver,sight, peep, loop, whiskers, so forth.