HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   I rattled in a bachelorette party tonight... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/73574-i-rattled-bachelorette-party-tonight.html)

RackLuster 09-22-2004 09:34 PM

I rattled in a bachelorette party tonight...

I got to my stand real late tonight, a little after 6:30. I let the woods settle down a little and then did some pretty hard rattling. Probably 5 or 10 minutes later 3 does (no fawns??) came walking directly at me. Coincidence????

The lead doe smelled something. She kept putting her head straight up. I thought she was going to bolt, luckily she was upwind. I know I smelled pretty funky because I hunted in the rain last night and my clothes never dried. They were pretty musty smelling, but I didn't know that until I got to the woods.

Anyway, the lead doe gave me a perfect broadside 10 yard shot. The hit looked perfect, I heard her run for maybe 20 or 30 yards and stop. I figured she died. I got down about 20 minutes later and checked my arrow. I was pretty confused when I found little acorn pieces in the blood. I think the arrow bounced off the shoulder because it was a perfect broadside shot w/ a perfect (only a 10 yard shot) entry wound. The exit wound was back pretty far. I ended up walking up to her and having to shoot her again. That time she went about another 20 yards and was done. Neat thing is she died about 30 yards from the edge of my inlaws back yard. I wish all drags were like that.

You've all seen doe pics so I won't post any pictures. Besides, I would get a lot of crap for the garage pictures anyway.

Anybody ever rattle in does like that? Also, I've never seen 3 does like that with no fawns. I have several pictures of the three from the last couple weeks. So, they've been hanging out for a while.

I can just taste the venison hot sticks!!!! mmmmm!!!!

Jbra 09-22-2004 09:44 PM

RE: I rattled in a bachelorette party tonight...

Does rattling generaly work this time of year? I thought you should only rattle around the rut.

All you need now is for the bachelor's to come by.

I still want to see some pics, I love looking at em, so hook it up

Congrats.;)

jerry606 09-22-2004 09:45 PM

Can't say i've ever rattled in doe before, but congrats on the kill :)

douglasm 09-22-2004 09:55 PM

About six years ago(before moving to Missouri)I was hunting just outside of Bloomington-Normal, IL and had a doe come in to rattling horns. It was early December and she came in at a dead run.Only thing I could figure was that she hadn't mated in November and thought with two bucks around she'd get lucky.All she got was a Muzzy - tipped 2215 through the ribbcage.

MILLERTIME10 09-22-2004 11:02 PM

Does rattling generaly work this time of year? I thought you should only rattle around the rut.
Deer normally start sparring as soon as they lose their velvet, but they usually don't get into full combat until later. Rattling may work this early in the season, but not very often. I think if I were to do a rattling sequence this early (don't think I would, but...), I would do it light and not so aggressive. You might have an outside chance of getting a bucks attention and have him come in and investigate.

Anybody ever rattle in does like that?
I personally never have, but I have also always heard if you rattle in a doe, keep an eye out b/c about 80 % of the time there is a buck right there with her. I have heard that from several people and have witnessed it on several hunting videos.

cardeer 09-23-2004 02:59 AM

Dont forget deer are a curious animal,I remember on the farm operating farm equipment and the deer would pop out of the bush to check out the noise

RackLuster 09-23-2004 06:34 PM

I've seen early season rattling work quite a few times. My buddy buzz-boy did some real hard blind rattling in mid-september a few years back and rattled in a 6 point. This deer came stomping across a huge open area, probably from 300 yds or more. he was grunting w/ every step. he shot that deer. i've also ratteled in quite a few in september. they don't normally come flying in but in september you gotta do whatever you can to get them moving.

what really really ticks me off is i cut out the back straps before dropping the deer off at the butcher and forgot them in my car while i went to work. ughhhhhhhh!!!!!

Tribal 09-23-2004 08:30 PM

I agree with Millertime its a little early for aggresive rattling. IF I were to do any now it would be small tickling and wait for the heavy stuff later on. But I have read alot about how tickling may bring the big boys in faster anyway. They think they can dominate whoever is having it out.