Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 COULD THIS POSSIBLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE >

COULD THIS POSSIBLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

COULD THIS POSSIBLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE

Old 09-21-2004, 09:09 PM

Default COULD THIS POSSIBLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE

OK , HERE IS THE PROBLEM. I HUNT A GREAT AREA HOWEVER I HAVE SEEN A FEW DEER BUT THEY WONT COME IN CLOSE ENOUGH TO GET A SHOT. NOW IM NOT SURE JUST HOW OFTEN IS OK BUT WHEN I DONT SEE ANYTHING OR THE DEER DONT COME IN CLOSE ENOUGH TO SHOOT I JUST GET DOWN ON MYSELF. COULD IT BE THAT I MOVE A LITTLE TO MUCH IN MY STAND. OR WHAT I WAS WONDERING IS DO U THINK IT IS POSSIBLE FOR THE DEER TO SMELL A THERMA CELL, NOT TO SAY IT IS BUT THIS IS MY FIRST YEAR USING ONE AND IT IS THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER USED BUT DO YOU THINK IT MIGHT PLAY A PART IN NOT SEEING DEER. I JUST DONT WONT TO WAIT TO LATE TO FIND OUT THAT THERE WAS SOMETHING I COULD HAVE DONE DIFFERENT TO IMPROVE MY HUNTS. ALSO , DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT COULD HELP PASS TIME WHILE IN MY STAND THAT MAY POSSIBLY KEEP MY MOVEMENTS TO A MINIMUM. THANKS
Old 09-21-2004, 09:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: COULD THIS POSSIBLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE

Buck Heaven,
You could always sit quietly and read an English textbook?
That's a joke!...and welcome to the forum.

Really think about your location and if it's the best possible spot for a stand......confidence in where you are sitting is a great cure for fidgiting around. If you feel like it could happen anytime right where you are sitting you will be more "Into" the hunt and the time will pass faster.
A comfortable treestand sure doesn't hurt either. Maybe take an extra foam cushion or something to make things more comfortable. Sitting for hours without moving simply isn't a natural activity unless your Uncle Bernie.......take your time to look around slowly and make sure nothing is coming in and stand up quietly to stretch every so often, then when you sit really concentrate on slow deliberate movements and sitting still.
If that doesn't work try the textbook......
Old 09-21-2004, 09:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

And don't rule out calling to the deer.....can be very effective....
Old 09-21-2004, 09:35 PM

Buck Heaven,

Maybe it's not you.

I don't know where in NC you're hunting, but last weekend they weren't moving much in my area (Monroe) either. It's been pretty warm with the exception of the past couple of days, and I think they've been sitting tight during daylight hours - it's just too dang hot. I almost melted walking into the woods opening weekend, and last Saturday wasn't much better except for the breeze.

Hang in there - this little cold snap should help.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Buck Heaven

OK , HERE IS THE PROBLEM. I HUNT A GREAT AREA HOWEVER I HAVE SEEN A FEW DEER BUT THEY WONT COME IN CLOSE ENOUGH TO GET A SHOT. NOW IM NOT SURE JUST HOW OFTEN IS OK BUT WHEN I DONT SEE ANYTHING OR THE DEER DONT COME IN CLOSE ENOUGH TO SHOOT I JUST GET DOWN ON MYSELF. COULD IT BE THAT I MOVE A LITTLE TO MUCH IN MY STAND. OR WHAT I WAS WONDERING IS DO U THINK IT IS POSSIBLE FOR THE DEER TO SMELL A THERMA CELL, NOT TO SAY IT IS BUT THIS IS MY FIRST YEAR USING ONE AND IT IS THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER USED BUT DO YOU THINK IT MIGHT PLAY A PART IN NOT SEEING DEER. I JUST DONT WONT TO WAIT TO LATE TO FIND OUT THAT THERE WAS SOMETHING I COULD HAVE DONE DIFFERENT TO IMPROVE MY HUNTS. ALSO , DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT COULD HELP PASS TIME WHILE IN MY STAND THAT MAY POSSIBLY KEEP MY MOVEMENTS TO A MINIMUM. THANKS
I went through this last year.........MOVE TO WHERE THE DEER ARE!!! Don't expect them to come to you. I had to move my stand 3 time last year to get close enough for a shot.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:51 PM
Fork Horn

A few years back on a ground hunt, three deer came through 75 yards out in front of me. I thought I should move closer to the trail. Sadly I stayed where I was. It wasen't 20 minuits later they came right back up the same trail. I now will not hesitate to move in on them.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:02 PM
Spike

I have always had that same problem with moving too much in the stand. Last year I bought a climber tree stand that has the back rest. What a difference!!! I feel as though I can finally stretch out without the stand up, sit down, stand up, sit down syndrome. This year I saw a cheap climber at Wal-Mart $79 called the Hawk by hunters choice. It is just as comfy as the one I paid $260 for. If you are like me, I can't really climb any of the swamp pines around my place with it, so I just ratchet strap it into place and screw in tree steps and I have a solid, semi-permanent strap on stand.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK , HERE IS THE PROBLEM. I HUNT A GREAT AREA HOWEVER I HAVE SEEN A FEW DEER BUT THEY WONT COME IN CLOSE ENOUGH TO GET A SHOT
Have you tried lite rattling sessions and maybe try some curiosity scents like trails end 307,works great for the early season.
Before I start my walk to my stand i do all my stretches,really loosining up the body,especially early in the morn.Take an extra seat cushion with you,and maybe even strap on a piece of foam on the back of the tree,makes a big difference on your behind and back.The foam also makes it much more quiet on the treebark and a little added warmth when the temps drop
Old 09-22-2004, 01:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some places are just not good places to hunt. You can go seasons hunting and not see anything, in the wrong place. But if your seeing deer, move closer to where you see them. A climber will make moves easier and they are nice to sit in. When a deer sees you or smells you you will know it!! they will not only be far away from you, but will be going that way fast!! If your seeing deer watch them and learn what they do, the noise they make and their daily paterns. If your seeing them, your in a good spot.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:07 AM

Welcome Buck,

Do you own a climber? My thought is if you are seeing deer at the same spot on a regular basis but the are out of range you'll need to move your stand. If you own a climber you'll be ahead of the game. I'm guessing the deer are ontheir normal travel routes and you just need to get closer to get yourself into a shooting position.

What made you choose your stand location?
How many times have you seen the deer and where they in the same spots every time?

The reason I ask is a lot of people hunt over a food source (I have mast in mind). Waiting for deer in a food source can pay off but IMO it's better to hunt them on the travel routes to the food. A hardwood (oak and beech) forrest may cover 20+ acres for example. If you're hunting the food there is a lot of ground to cover from 1 stand. If you know where the bedding area is and you can get between the food and the bedding area you can really narrow down where you hunt. The second question I ask ed to see if you're seeing the deer in a travel lane and you just need to get closer.

Quick Reply: COULD THIS POSSIBLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.