Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 shooting out of a treestand >

shooting out of a treestand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting out of a treestand

Old 09-22-2004, 06:21 PM

Default RE: shooting out of a treestand

As an engineer I can say with a great deal of confidence that the only relevent distance is the true horizontal distance.

The Pythagorean Theorem(A^2 + B^2 = C^2) does not apply. Ity also incorrect to say the that the effect of gravity does does vary with the shooting angle.

At a particular distance, gravity has its greatest effect on trajectory for an arrow flying horizontally, and has proportionally less effect as the shooting angle is raised or lowered. The reason for this is that the trajectory arc is determined by the horizontal distance the arrow travels, not the overall distanance

Shooting from a small elevated stand is awkward compared to target practice. I would practice your shooting form.

Good Luck!
Old 09-22-2004, 06:37 PM
Spike

This has been my case since going to a fast bow. I agree with Leverdude. I am no physics wiz but have proved this point to other hunters before when target shooting. If gravity and elevation didn't effect the arrow flite, then I should still shoot 5 to 6" difference at 30 yards(just like off the ground) even with bad form as long as the form is the same for every shot. Not the case as I only loose 2" out of the tree at 2 yards further.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:40 PM

Dang, and to think I wouldn't use geometry when I got out of high school!! I should have paid attention. OH well, at least I passed with a 75

Thanks Phade, now I'll have to throw a calculator in my pack along with the rest of the stuff I carry!!
That is why I love that my rangefinder automatically calculates the true horizontal distance. It can really throw you off if an elk/deer etc. is 30 yards away horizontally and 50 yards below you - the true distance between your arrow and the animal is almost is almost 60 yards. It is hard to judge (at least for me) true horizontal distance in situations like that.

Jerid
Old 09-22-2004, 09:47 PM
Fork Horn

In spite of the arguments between trajectory, elevation and target distance it sounds like inconsistant form, target panick or maybe just an arrow with spine issues. Eliminating the bad arrow is easy, form a little tougher, practice more. Target panic could be tough to cure and there are guys here that have ways to work out panic issues.
Anyway keep practicing and hopfully you get it worked out.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can remember reading or being told (or both) that the tendancy is to shoot high whether shooting downhill or uphill