HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Moose, weather, rut? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/73319-moose-weather-rut.html)

BlackWolf2626 09-21-2004 06:15 AM

Moose, weather, rut?

I am leaving Thursday for my Ontario moose hunt and it looks like it will be in the 60'sF and I was wondering what effect this will have on the rut? Will they go nocternal? Should I be ready for a down hunt?

Thanks for your help,

adams 09-21-2004 06:25 AM

RE: Moose, weather, rut?

If the weather is warm the moose will be in the wallows. Are you going with a guide or by yourself? If you have a guide they'll know this already and they'll know where the best wallows are. If you have a topo map of the area you'll be hunting look for marshy areas on the map. If you see blue areas with grasses in them those will be the hot spots. I 'd look for these "wallows" or if you can find small shallow ponds these likely will yeild moose in the evenings.

Good luck and keep us posted:)

BlackWolf2626 09-21-2004 06:41 AM

We are going with a guide. I was assuming the wallow situation but the guy I am going with was thinking whitetail and of course they go more nocternal.

I am also expecting terrible bugs. Is this a pretty good assumption?

Thanks,

StealthyOne 09-21-2004 09:03 AM

I would expect terrible bugs, especially since you will be hunting swamps.

Justin 09-21-2004 09:16 AM

Bugs generally aren't all that bad this time of year in Canada, but they are there none the less. As for the weather - YES it has a pretty dramatic effect on the rutting activity of bulls. When it gets hot in the late morning and early afternoon, the bulls pretty much shut down and stop moving and calling. It can get pretty tough, but your early mornings and late afternoons are still pretty productive if you stick close to some good water sources.

Whereabouts in Ontario are you headed? My dad is leaving Thursday for his moose hunt just north of Perrault Falls, Ont. I went last year, but I just couldn't come up with the cash this year - my little 5 month old at home took all of my hunting slush fund. :D

BlackWolf2626 09-22-2004 07:07 AM

We are flying out of Minaki just north of Kenora. I think we are flying approxx. 70 miles or so from there.

We are driving out tomorrow (Thur.) so we are pretty psyched!

Did you get a moose last time you went?

Thanks for the info.

Justin 09-22-2004 07:42 AM

I didn't get a moose last year, but another member of our party did on the last day of the hunt. Called in a nice bull to about 20 yards, perfect double lung shot, and he didn't run more than 40 yards before he dropped over right smack in the middle of a logging road. Couldn't have been more perfect. I personally called in 2 bulls during our trip, unfortunately one got downwind of me and spooked, and the other was just out of bow range on the last night of my hunt. I'm fairly confident I could've made the shot, but with light fading on the last night of the trip, I didn't want to risk a bad hit and then having to leave the animal without recovering it.

Have fun up there, moose hunting in by far the most exciting and entertaining hunt I've ever been on.

Here's a pic of me a LONG time ago with my dad and his biggest moose to date. (Keep in mind this was 12 years ago!) :D

fuzzila 09-22-2004 07:05 PM

My personal opinion is that the weather doesn't affect the rut at all. Moose must calf at a certain time of year, to ensure that the calves are strong enough to survive the upcoming winter. In my opinion it's the amount of daylight that triggers the rut, not weather. Just my opinion. For what it's worth I live in north western Ontario & bow hunt moose.

Spot Light 09-22-2004 07:50 PM

Well good news the bulls are moving and we have recovered a 42" Bull on the highway that was hit by a tractor trailor. This is in the Temagami area of Ont. When this occours that means the moose are on the move (the bulls any way). Most Ontario hunters think the rut is in peak the 1st and 2nd week of October but its actually the 3rd and last week of September. Good luck and let us know how you did.

nub 09-22-2004 08:50 PM

Talked to my outfitter north of Ignace. He said the same, "moose are starting to move". :D I leave in a little over 24 hours.:D

Bugs generally aren't all that bad this time of year in Canada
hehehe, yeah right.[>:] I swear you guys up there are just used to them.