Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 need a target that lasts >

need a target that lasts

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

need a target that lasts

Old 09-11-2004, 10:21 AM

Default need a target that lasts

I've been putting this off, in hopes that they will come out with a miracle self healing, $19, doesn't fall apart broadhead target. I don't have any scap carpet/boxes/paper with no ability to find it to my knowledge, so building a target is beyond me for now, especially with most commercial targets at or around $50 anyway. I'm just going to buy something. I have a Gander Mtn. and Dick's near me and will buy from one or the other.

Looking at the layered foam types for now, although I have read pretty poor reviews of them, and am not happy with departing with hard earned money for something that will be falling apart soon. I looked at the Morrell Yellow jacket for the price, and it seems to be at the front of the pack. Haven't heard much about it compared to the Block and Black Hole. Can I shoot field points at it?

Just looking for more than straw and a 2" foam target. Need one this weekend.

Thanks people...
Old 09-11-2004, 10:32 AM

Default RE: need a target that lasts

Is the American Whitetail Foamlite target at Dick's any good. Lists for $29. Its a layered type.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr....713237.713272

Its this or the Yellow Jacket from Morrell for now. I can't use a 3-d deer, or a bag that requires set up. I shoot at my grandparents house, and don't like leaving it setting out, looks out of place in a high scale community! [:@]
Old 09-11-2004, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

None of the targets last as long as claimed, when shot with broadheads. You can shoot field points into the layered foam. The Blackholes look to be the same (other than dimensionally) as the Blocks, for less money. I haven't shot into a Yellow Jacket, but Morrell makes very good targets.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:27 PM

Thanks,

There is another called the "Cube" thats like the Block and Black Hole.

I am probably going with the Morrell Yellow Jacket for the sake of its lower price and availability. I'll post on its durability also. We should start a thread that lists the pro's and con's of each
Old 09-11-2004, 03:42 PM

for all interested, went with the Yellow Jacket. It was larger than the black hole and block, within my price range, and the most reasonably priced. Haven't heard bad reviews like the others. The foam seems different from my observations, and there are not hundreds of thin layers, there are fewer thicker layers. I screwed on a broadhead and stabbed it a few times, and it does heal nicely! No pieces come out, and I really tried wiggling the arrow to see if it would. Arrows slide out very effortlessly.

I will shoot it tomorrow. Then I will post.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

wally world has a block target wrapped in white synthetic carpet backing which holds up very well 2 sides are made for broadheads and 2 sides are for field points.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:15 PM
Typical Buck

bigpapascout.. We took one of those wally world targets to Canada w/ us.. This was the 1st time that it was ever shot at. I was shooting my 300fps 400gr arrows at it.. and when I hit the center of the target they buried all the way to the cresting on the Gold Tips. When I shot at any of the outer spots.. I'd penetrate all the way through the target except for the fletching. Very poor quality target in my opinion.

The Yellow Jacket on the other hand.. is a great BROADHEAD target for the $$$. You can shoot field point at it.. but they will be VERY hard to pull out. The foam melts to the arrows like the older foam targets... making them damn near impossible to pull out. What I'd reccomend would be to purchase the $30-40 bag target at Gander Mountain (depending on if it's on sale or not)... they are actually Morrell Eternity targets that have been rebadged for Gander Mountain. Use this target for your field points.. and the Yellow Jacket for you broadheads.. You'll still come out cheaper that one of the medium sized block targets.. and they'll last ALOT longer.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:37 PM

I got the Yellow Jacket at it is great for broadheads. No goo for field points. It says right on the target not to use field points. They are way to hard to get out.....
Old 09-20-2004, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

No pieces come out
They will eventually. I have a Yellow Jacket that's got a good 300 shots on it at just the two 'big' sides. I haven't punch a hole in either of the sides yet. I recommend shooting spots all over the target as opposed to groups. You'll get mor life out of your arrows, broadheads and taget this way. I shot a field point into it just to see.....just don't do it! When I buy a BH target I'm never going to buy a Block or Black Hole....they're too expensive. No targets handle broadheads well. The very nature of slicing the things to pieces has me wondering why anyone would even think otherwise. I buy the most affordable target with the most surface area. I bet I get two+ years out of my YJ....maybe even 3!
Old 09-20-2004, 02:06 PM

I hate my blackhole ihave shot arrows through in 2weeks . I was shooting brodheads but they say tousands of shots. Its bull. I'm returning mine when my dad gets home and getting a yellowjacket. Blackhole is'nt waterproof either. I had left some arrows in the target the points rusted. i am never getting one again.morrel yellow jacket better price and longer lasting.

Quick Reply: need a target that lasts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.